Question
Profile Image
Jl | 13 hours ago
Egg-Bound Spiny Softshell Turtle

Hello,
Re: Egg-binding
2015 – 15 year-old spiny soft shell turtle treated for egg binding, 7 eggs, oxytocin, calcium, antibiotic injections, did not notice difference in behavior, burrowing in sand, eating on and off, particular about water temperature, but otherwise behavior unchanged.

Egg binding 2019
19 years currently
x-rays three eggs, oxytocin, calcium, no response

Original veterinarian was not available, seen at different hospital, vet who specializes in exotics. Advised due to position eggs, induction may not be successful. returned with towel over head. asked if everything was okay, said no issues. She is curious and has never bitten so it was surprising and painful when she reached out and latched on skin between thumb and index finger.

I was more comfortable returning to first veterinary hospital, Vet who treated still not available for appointment, seen by associate. x-rays, ocytocin max. dose, calcium max dose, advised two weeks prior hospital, minimum dose, however four years prior max dose. Since it was successful I was advised, will follow same.
Seemed hopeful, but again, no response.
Return once again. Advised x-rays, lab, oxytocin and calcium.

Question came to mind about three eggs in position last exotic veterinarian said unlikely to release, in nearly same position as four years ago after multiple treatments oxytocin and calcium. The veterinarian checked record and found only 3 of 7 eggs had been released. It didn’t make sense, traveled four hour round trip every three days for two weeks. Turtle in treatment room so was unaware of number of eggs, was shown a broken egg, one in a jar, another… not informed four eggs remained, did not think to ask, trusted whatever was necessary was completed, wasn’t told otherwise.

Spaying had been recommended in 2015. I agreed, but last minute veterinarian said because aquatic, concerned about healing, advised not to spay, however again, was not informed about 3 eggs remained, or any issue with blood work.

After last induction she’s burrowed in sand and hasn’t come out except twice, ate and went back. It’s been two weeks. Did original blood word (attached) suggest sepsis because was mentioned again. Then in July this year, vet sent photo of under shell to lab’s reptile specialist. response normal. Thank you.

0 Responses
Please Login to comment
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Question
Profile Image
Kayce | 1 day ago
My Kitten Had A Nasopharyngeal Polyp Removed A Month Ago, What Can I Expect In The Future?

After many attempts to resolve one of my foster kitten’s URI, I learned about nasopharyngeal polyps and low and behold that was the problem with Lindy. My vet’s team removed the bulk of the polyp behind Lindy’s soft palate with a CO2 laser rather than with traction using forceps, the doctor estimated she removed 90%. I see you have had much experience with these nasty growths. Lindy is a foster and I am getting ready to turn her over to the adoption center to find her forever home. I’m not exactly sure what to write about Lindy’s polyp and what might happen in the future. I hear they can recur. Do you have any advice to give me. Thanks so much.

3 Responses
Please Login to comment
1 Comment threads
2 Thread replies
1 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello,
If your kitten begins to have loud breathing or making snoring sounds, or if you notice open mouth breathing or any kind of discharge from the nose then I would go back to the vet. In my experience these recur about 10% of the time. Good luck. If you don’t mind I would love to have you share her story on our storylines page. It helps other people learn from the members experience and also helps understand prices in vet med. if you have any questions just let me know.

Good luck.
Krista.

Question
Profile Image
Christie Hellwig | 2 days ago
Went To Jarrettsville Vet Today Had Examine . And Larry Puts Up A Fight So We Have …

Went to Jarrettsville vet today had examine . And Larry puts up a fight so we have to muzzle and hold him tight . He has a skin infection , got antibiotic. No he has this bruise like thing on his neck ??? Help .

2 Responses
Please Login to comment
2 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
scgreco413
Member

Hi good morning-
I’m not sure I’m reading your question properly- are you wondering if this bruise is from the muzzle? I’ve not had that happen. It could be from struggling at the vet- depending on how hard he was fighting everyone. Are you certain it wasn’t there earlier? Probably- we know our pets. I would call Jarrettsville- they may say bring him in and take a peak since it’s really hard to tell from a pic. They’re very good there and I’m sure they will be able to advise you. I would call them- hope things are ok!😊

Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello.
I expected it was from a blood draw. I have confirmed with the doctor you saw. I’m sorry I didn’t get this last night. If you need us we are here. I work all day today if you have any concerns. Sincerely krista

Question
Profile Image
Cheyenne | 4 days ago
I Have A Kitten. She Was A Stray So I’m Assuming She Is About 11 Months …

I have a kitten. She was a stray so I’m assuming she is about 11 months old. She recently has stopped eating, drinking, and can hardly move. Within the past few hours we have noticed there’s a knot that’s came up on this inside of her on her side. Please help. She has an appointment in the morning with the vet but I’m worried sick!

3 Responses
Please Login to comment
2 Comment threads
1 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
3 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
scgreco413
Member

Good morning- I am so glad you already have an appointment scheduled for her. The vet will most likely do a thorough examination and possibly xrays to see what the “knot” you describe might be. You did not specify where on her the knot was- could it possibly be a blockage? That might account for the sudden change in eating behavior. In any case- she needs to be seen ASAP so it is very good that you have an appointment. She may need surgery- so try to prepare yourself for that possible reality. Good luck to you. I hope she… Read more »

Krista Magnifico
Member

I’m sorry. This sounds like an emergency and we aren’t staffed or able to manage emergencies online. I how she is ok

Question
Profile Image
Amanda | 4 days ago
Hi, My 3 Year Old French Bulldog Was Just Diagnosed With IVDD This Past Saturday. All Last …

Hi, my 3 year old French bulldog was just diagnosed with IVDD this past Saturday. All last week she was perfectly fine being her normal self and Saturday morning we found her dragging her back legs, unable to walk. We quickly rushed her to the vet and received the bad news. Surgery was the first recommendation but was far too expensive. We decided to try laser treatments and medication along with keeping her in the crate resting. Today she had her 3rd laser treatment. I’m devastated and just want her to get better. My question today is, if the treatments start working, when should we start seeing improvement? At what point should we try starting physical therapy? & what type of exercises do we do with her with her back legs paralyzed? How will we get her to take those first steps with her back legs if the treatments work? How will we know when and if it is working? She has been eating a little and urinating but it has just been coming out. She has not had a bowl movement since Saturday night and I am concerned about this. I watched your videos on YouTube of Hank, and it gave me a lot of hope for my frenchie. Please tell me what more I can do to help her get back on her feet. Thank you so much for your help at this time!

2 Responses
Please Login to comment
2 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello, I’m sorry to hear about your pup. Please understand that every case is unique and it’s not possible to answer your questions without seeing your dog and monitoring their progress. Almost daily. As I say on my blog and YouTube channel these cases require very close supervision and constant monitoring. Some cases improve quickly others not much or at all. Please consider finding a vet who will be there for you everyday should you need them. In my cases I check in daily. Use email and assign a tech to help them if I am not at work for… Read more »

Krista Magnifico
Member

I think this book is super helpful too

image.jpg
Question
Profile Image
Mel | 4 days ago
Please Help!! Over Labor Day Weekend We Had To Hospitalize Our 1year Old Cat For A …

Please help!!

Over Labor Day weekend we had to hospitalize our 1year old cat for a bladder blockage. We didn’t have the funds for the procedure and we didn’t want our cat to die. He’s really my son’s cat who is 7 and would just be heartbroken.
He got his bladder flushed, came home 3 days later. We had to open a line of credit on carecredit that is now maxed out. Finished all his medications and seemed fine until today.
He isn’t peeing, seems lethargic. I tried manually expressing him but to no avail. Nothing but some drops of blood come out.
I’m crying as I’m writing this because we can’t afford another costly procedure and this is can obviously be fatal.

2 Responses
Please Login to comment
2 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello, I’m so sorry to hear about your cat. I know how costly and devastating this can be for pet parents. I think it’s time to call everyone you can think of to see if anyone will either help you out financially or help you out to see if he is blocked again. I think he needs to be seen by a vet immediately as he can die if he is blocked. We all dread these cases. I have had so many over my career. When I get them the first time I always warn that they often have repeat… Read more »

scgreco413
Member

Hello- I am so sorry. The only other advice I can offer is to plead with your vet to help you in any possible way … paying a little at a time, paying as soon as you can, anything.

Question
Profile Image
kathy welsh | 5 days ago
My Dog Seems To Be Constantly Panting. We Have Our A/C On 70 Degrees And Ceiling …

My dog seems to be constantly panting. We have our A/C on 70 degrees and ceiling fan on. Should I be concerned?

3 Responses
Please Login to comment
1 Comment threads
2 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Krista Magnifico
Member

Yes. I would be concerned. Please see a veterinarian as quickly as possible. This could be an emergency and therefore I would treat it as such. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Question
Profile Image
Pam Brooks | 6 days ago
My Cat Lucas Is Still Sick With Horner’s Syndrome. After Many Tests Have Not Been …

My cat Lucas is still sick with Horner’s syndrome. After many tests have not been able to determine a definitive cause. I would like to look into getting a myringotomy for him so I can know what the fluid in his middle ear is. It is causing him to have serious nasal issues every time he eats. Does anyone know if this procedure – myringotomy – is ever done by a regular vet, or does it require a specialist. And what have others paid. Any information would be helpful. See recent photo of Lucas – with his good eye. The other eye is affected by Horner’s syndrome.

2 Responses
Please Login to comment
1 Comment threads
1 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello, I don’t know enough about your cats case to offer any real advice. I have seen horners take months to resolve. And I’m not sure what triggered your cats condition. My best advice is to see a feline specialist or neurologist to discuss diagnostics and options. I don’t think you will find anyone outside of then to discuss this procedure. I would also strongly recommend that you ask yourself why you are worried about it and what potential side effects you might see if you pursue treatment plans without confirming the underlying cause. I leave Horner s alone unless… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Allie | 1 week ago
What Can I Give My Cat She Cant Pass A Hairball! Help!

What can I give my cat she cant pass a hairball! Help!

3 Responses
Please Login to comment
2 Comment threads
1 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
3 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
scgreco413
Member

Good morning…
Sorry for a late response. Hoping that your cat finally coughed up that hairball. If not- are you positive it was a hair ball? I only ask because the constant trying to clear her throat of it can be a symptom of other, more severe circumstances. If she is still showing signs of distress and coughing to clear “something” out of her airway, I would get into the vet as soon as you can.

Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello, I’m worried that the hairball might not be a hairball. If you have a long haired cat I recommend daily brushing. Or even twice a year shave downs. If you have a short haired cat you can try OTC cat lax or watered down canned food. I have even heard of people adding petroleum jelly to help lubricate. But I have also seen cats vomiting from intestinal parasites (please only diagnose with your vet don’t use an OTC dewormer as they aren’t safe enough in my opinion. I also talk about increasing fluid intake either by iv fluids or… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Tracey Grumbach | 1 week ago
My 4 Year Old Cat Had A 3 Year Rabies Shot And A Distemper Shot At About 11:30AM …

My 4 year old cat had a 3 year rabies shot and a distemper shot at about 11:30AM this morning. It is now 9:25 PM and she is having tremors in her leg muscles. It is NOT a seizure but I’ve never seen muscle tremors like this before. She is also lethargic and not eating too, which I know is fairly normal…I’m just worried about her muscle tremors. Does she need to be seen immediately or is it ok to wait until morning to call the vet?

2 Responses
Please Login to comment
1 Comment threads
1 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Krista Magnifico
Member

Hello, It is very hard for me to answer this safely. The advice always has to be to err on the side of caution so that safety comes first. A veterinarian will listen to heart and lungs, take a temp, and assess neurological function and probably give an injectable steroid. We also check mucous membrane color. All of this is done to assess severity of the condition and be prepared to halt it from progressing. The tremors can be pain or anxiety due to pain or discomfort. But without all of the rest of the physical parameters to use as… Read more »