Question
Profile Image
Haley | 32 mins ago
Thing Up Cat Nostril

My rescue cat is estimated to be about 3 years old. Pembroke has had breathing issues since I adopted him. It started with a URI which was treated successfully. But then the snoring started. He also shakes his head frequently and itches his ears. I had a full body x-ray as well as blood work done on him. I can visibly see a blockage in his left nostril but no vet in my area has been willing to figure it out without me going to a specialist for an endoscopy. However, this could just be nasal inflammation (according to 1/3 different vets I’ve gone to) because I was told based on the x-rays there is no growth. Am I crazy for wanting to try and get more answers before spending $2000 on an endoscopy? Ive already spent thousands on this little one and I’ve only had him for a few months. I’m in the Greater New Orleans area. I will attach his x-ray photos. He also has an abnormally large kidney but all of his blood and urine levels were fine. They recommend an abdominal ultrasound but I am trying to prioritize his breathing issues as this is hard to watch when he’s sleeping. He acts completely normal but when he is asleep it is apparent his breathing is difficult. I can also hear him do big swallow that sound like he has post nasal drip. He sneezes often but he never has any discharge/snot.

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
10 minutes ago

Hello.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask for help without spending another few thousand dollars. Maybe you could try some medications to see if they help? I use cerenia drops often. I also try a nasal flush under general anesthesia. This is a really hard place to look at our even investigate. So I would give some time and some medications and see if that helps.
If all else fails ask for a feline specialist referral.

Good luck. Keep me posted. Please.

Question
Profile Image
Debra Brenner | 1 day ago
So Our Little Morkie Stella Had Jumped From My Arms And Landed Wrong On Her Hind …

So our little Morkie Stella had jumped from my arms and landed wrong on her hind leg. She then proceeded to have trouble walking on it and has been limping. It seems to be affecting her joint. She’s not crying out in pain, but is not putting any pressure on her leg. Her hip felt stiff under my fiance’s grasp.
I am freaking out, unsure of what to do. She’s not shrieking when we touch it. She’s just complying

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
18 hours ago

Hello, The only time a joint injury is a true emergency is a hip dislocation in these cases time is of the essence to put it back into place. The classic presentation of this is a prominent bump on the hip and the leg appears to be rotated outward also they toe touch. Little dogs tend to have shallow hips so they can dislocate fairly easily and it is most common with a fall or jump. A trip to the ER is indicated they will take an X-ray and if dislocated try to put it back into place. The faster… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Jasmine | 2 days ago
My 16 Year Old Cat Has Been Diagnosed With Some Kind Of Nasal Cancer. I Don’t …

My 16 year old cat has been diagnosed with some kind of nasal cancer. I don’t know which specifically because I didn’t want to pay for the tests that would specify which kind. Regardless, we are not treating the cancer; we are giving her supportive care. She is currently on steroids (prednisolone) and painkillers (gabapentin). With all of this, she has recently had a new symptom: a bulging of the bridge of her nose. At first, I thought it might be the cancer, but then one day, it popped open, and started leaking fluids (probably blood mixed with other things). I gave her first aid, and it healed. Now, it’s doing it again, but the fluid is building back up, even after leaking out. I called the vet after the first time this had happened, and was told that things like this would keep happening, and that she’s probably near the end of her life. Nothing about what it could be or how to handle it.

So my questions are, should I see a different vet? Does the pressure cause her pain? Is there some way to treat this? I haven’t euthanized her yet, because she still seems to enjoy life.

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
1 day ago

Hello, These are all questions to ask your vet. Without knowing specifically what the diagnosis is (or specifically what type of cancer) and what kind of fluid this is it is hard to predict outcome abd treatment options. Also the steroid can influence patient response. Cancer is defined as aberrant cell growth so it is by definition abnormal activity and asking to know and understand anything acting abnormally is also hard to predict. You have decided to keep her comfortable while declining the work up so we have a hard time answering specific questions about what to expect and do… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
tom | 5 days ago
I Believe My Cat Has Hepatic Hepatic Lipidosis Lost Alot A Weight Had Her To Two …

i believe my cat has hepatic hepatic lipidosis lost alot a weight had her to two vets in the past year that did nothing i thought she was doing better but this past month she has lost a lot of weight only 5 pounds she eating but not as much i say hepatic hepatic lipidosis because the last vet said her liver reading was off wanted 800.00 for a biopsy after i already paid for 400.00 for blood work i couldn’t afford it i lost my job during pandemic and just can’t afford a vet visit at the moment anything i can do???

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
2 days ago

Hi
I am sorry that you are going through so much. I really think you should schedule time with your vet to sit and talk through the diagnosis, what the treatments are and see if you can come up with an affordable payment option. Explain your financial situation – see if there is a way to set up some sort of payment plan 🤞 so that your cat can get prepped diagnosis and treatment. Hopefully you and your vet can come to a mutual agreement. Best of luck to you!!!!💛🐾

Question
Profile Image
Eva | 1 week ago
I Have An 8 Year Old Lab Who’s Had An Ear Infection For 6 Months. I’ve …

I have an 8 year old lab who’s had an ear infection for 6 months. I’ve taken him to my vet probably 15 times and she’s tried a variety of remedies, including steroids (which he’s allergic to) ear flushes, and antibiotics. He’s now on Apoquel, and an ear flush that I use twice a day, which has really helped with the itching but there is still pus inside the ear. He doesn’t seem to be suffereing much from it at this point, but I need to get it resolved. I have an appointment with a dermatolgist that she consults with but the earliest appointment I could get was at the end of Sept.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions. I can give you all of the medications he’s been on if you need them.

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
18 hours ago

Hello,
I would also inquire about adding cytopoint, frequent cleanings with a medicated optic, a hypoallergenic diet and a culture of the ear. In many cases I also talk about oral medications like a steroid and an antibiotic for the really difficult cases. If the ear continues to be so diseased and problematic you can also inquire about a TECA.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Question
Profile Image
Ambriel | 1 week ago
Dr Magnifico , We Took Our 3 Year Old Feline To Our Home Vet Yesterday Morning For Straining …

Dr magnifico , we took our 3 year old feline to our home vet yesterday morning for straining and not being able to urinate (happened within 15 hours approx.) they released him at 12:09pm on buprexen 0.35 ml every 12 hours until we can get the culture and urinalysis back Monday, they did an ultrasound and said there was no blockage but to take him in to an ER if things get worse, well 8pm that night it was only getting worse not even a dribble and so we rushed him to an emergency hospital and applied for a loan because the ER told us he WAS blocked and that there was a mound of crystal formed and that he needed surgery ASAP as well as the catheter. They kept him overnight and now today ( the next day) they said if at 430-5 they take out the catheter and he can pee on his own they want to send him home. My fear is that he will get reblocked as he is trying to heal… I saw your YouTube video GET OUT ALIVE BLOCKED CAT and how they should keep him for up to 3 days and monitor him with the catheter still in place? Our home vet doesn’t open until tomorrow and I’m sure they will want more money to keep him overnight again I already applied for the loan and got approved but our expenses are running tight. What do you recommend? This is our cats first problem he has no history of illness or allergies. The ER he is at right now is tanasbourne veterinarian emergency in Hillsboro Oregon ! Our home vet is Milner vet hospital in Oregon city

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
2 days ago

Hi there- I am soooo sorry that you going through this. I am not a vet- I have however had a male cat who had urinary blockage issues and can tell you what we had to do- First off, the vet we had at the time kept him overnight after the. Lock she was removed to make sure his Irvine was running clear and to monitor him. He was sent home to us with very specific instructions- keep him isolated in a small area in case of accidents(which there were) a change in both diet and litter and multiple water… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Allyson | 2 weeks ago
My Cat Is Taking Short Breaths And He Is Breathing Out Of His Mouth. When Should …

My cat is taking short breaths and he is breathing out of his mouth. When should I be concerned? He is a Persian so he never breaths normal but when is it necessary to take him to ER?

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
11 days ago

Hello
Any time there is a chance of trouble breathing you should be concerned. I reformed you see a veterinarian immediately

Question
Profile Image
Robert | 2 weeks ago
I Am On Round Two Of Having My Male Cat’s Urinary System Unblocked. Both Places (…

I am on round two of having my male cat’s urinary system unblocked. Both places (different for reasons about to be discussed) are warm and welcoming and reassuring before $2,500+ paymemts…then seem eager to send him home sooner than expected.
My cat is presently in the second hospital for the blockage and they are already talking about sending him home.
I need advice because I have exhausted all money that I could use for any further treatment.
Should I insist they keep him under observation longer than the few hours they are now telling me he needs post-catheter removal?

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
12 days ago

Hello there- Years ago, we had a male cat who had to have a blockage removed surgically. They kept him while he was catheterized overnight, and then we brought him home with very strict instructions. We had to keep him confined during recovery, (because while recovering there was a chance of leaking) so we got baby gates and made him very comfy in the family room. I made sure to have a nice big blanket down and a few spares so that I could launder and change them out. We also had to change his diet to Rx food and… Read more »

Krista Magnifico
11 days ago

Hello Nothing in vet med infuriates me more than this scenario, which I hear almost daily. In my opinion these cases are that they ALWAYS REQUIRE MULTIPLE DAYS OF IV FLUID THERAPY AND YOU DO NOT PULL THE URINARY CATHETER UNTIL THE URINE IS RUNING CLEAR. I feel the veterinary community is setting these patients and their families up for failure. I would like to hear more about your story. I also think you ha e very little choice other than to consider a PU surgery or find a place who can help you on a tight budget. Please find… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
bruce | 2 weeks ago
Hi All, I Have A 13 Year Old Yorkie Who Just Jumped Off The Sofa Which Is …

hi all,
I have a 13 year old yorkie who just jumped off the sofa which is only a foot high & his front leg slid out from under him & now he can’t seem to use his right fron & rear legs. The dr has said it looks to be IVDD. Are there natural homeopathic treatments for him that don’t involve surgery as it way above our ability to pay for? Please reply with urgency.
Thank you so much!
B

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
14 days ago

Hello,
I don’t know of any homeopathic treatments but I have a lot of information at kmdvm.blogspot.com. Go there and then add Ivdd in the search bar. Also go to my YouTube channel. It you cannot afford surgery I recommend strict cage rest and medication to help with pain and inflammation. I hope this helps. Good luck

Question
Profile Image
Josselyn | 3 weeks ago
Hello, I Work At A Shelter. One Of The Puppies Got Parvo And She Was Given …

Hello, I work at a shelter. One of the puppies got parvo and she was given fluids subcutaneously. She was on antibiotics and has gotten through the parvo, but has gotten a horrible skin infection. (Most likely due to the needle injections given for fluids) Her skin started popping open and draining puss, and what started out as small draining spots, became larger and larger, until large sections of fur/skin sloughed off. The vet put her on Clavamox and has told us to clean with peroxide, then antibacterial soap, then apply a yellow greasy cream. I guess I question the daily peroxide as it makes her cry and it becomes so raw. I am attaching photos and they are disturbing, but the puppy is eating and drinking and I know it will be a long recovery, but I have to try. If a vet sees my post, please tell me what you think the wound care treatment should be. I think too much peroxide is harmful, but don’t know. The vet we use has given questionable care to some other dogs we have taken to her, so I need a second opinion.

4 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,305 Comment threads
438 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
4 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
23 days ago

Oh my that looks so painful! Poor thing. I know that my vet does not recommend peroxide. I cannot remember the name of it, but she recommends this blue solution that you dilute in warm water. It looks like the peroxide is doing more harm then good😢

Krista Magnifico
23 days ago

Hello,
I don’t ever use peroxide. Like ever. I’m sorry I know there is a lot of opinion in vet Med but if it’s painful we either don’t it or we administer analgesics or anesthesia. Pain is not an acceptable treatment option. Also peroxide slows cell repair. Ask your vet to seek help via a local dermatologist, your lab services company or VIN.com. I hope this helps. I applaud your wanting to help the pets in the most need. Be well and very best of luck.