to start out I had a Jack Russell and our neighbor had a great dane. My Jack had gotten bitten by the great dane, so my vet was short of staff so I had to get him to a vet, well the neighbor called their vet and they said bring him in.This was a Wed, around 5 pm. Jack had a rip on the right shoulder and marks on his elbows. They stitch Jack up and put a drain tube in.They tell me to bring him back Monday to take out the tube, Ok now this is the following day, Thur. and I call and tell them Jack is not eating or drinking and He smells really bad.They say bring him in and that was 10 am and he was there till 7 pm. We get in the car to go home and I tell my boyfriend that he still smells bad. Well Fri. comes and I just baby Jack.Then Fri. comes and I call the vet and tell them Jack is not getting better and he still smells bad. They say bring him in, this was Sat., ok 3rd time to this vet and guess what she comes out and shows us his left shoulder that’s shaved and all black with a cut that was the smelly that I smelled for 3 days. I asked her why they didn’t see that and her reply was, are you ready for this?? Why didn’t You see it?? wth, I am NOT a vet I told her and after I told them on day 2 they should’ve found something??? We took Jack home and he was so uncomfortable that we took him to another vet at 5 am Sunday morning. They knew Jack was not doing good, they couldn’t find his blood pressure and then they found one at 18,she told us it should be 80.We left and was told if he was stable they would do a transfusion and we said whatever it takes.We get a call later saying he is not getting better so we went to see him and he was so weak and it just broke our heart to do what we had to do.We brought Jack home and buried him.
My advice to everyone if this happens get your friend shaved so this is not over looked. We miss this little guy every day and I know some people think we are nuts But his was our everything. The big kicker is no vet wants to help us because vets are their friends, Well if you are a vet for our friends you should help with anything that went wrong if not you are not a vet that cares about our friends and I think that is awful.
I had my cat to an emergency vet for a blockage yesterday. I’m pretty sure he’s blocked again. I can’t afford for him to get the procedure done again, as I spent every penny I had on the last one. What can I do?
I have an 11-year old female domestic shorthair cat (Nala) who has been very healthy until around springtime last year when she started to develop a snorty sound when breathing and rapid sneezing fits. We figured it was maybe allergies at the time, as ours were really bad too. But it kept lingering and we finally asked our vet and he was reluctant to do a full exam on her because of the expense, and he also diagnosed her as having herpes, and prescribed Chlorpheniramine 4mg and Duralactin paste 2.5ml for her. I give her a 1/4 of the pill crushed in her canned food once a day, but the paste makes her sick. I have been giving her the pill for about 3 months now with zero improvement. I have been doing a lot of research, and the closest thing I could find that matches what she is dealing with is a video I found of Dr. Magnifico performing surgery on a cat for a nasal polyp. The description she gave completely matches what Nala sounds like with the snoring sounds when breathing and the constant sounds of trying to clear her throat. She has lost a lot of weight because I think it’s difficult for her to eat a lot but otherwise she acts like nothing is wrong, she is very playful, and also eats (best she can) and drinks normally, and litterbox habits are still great. My question is if this diagnosis sound like it could be correct, and if so, is this something that could possibly be fixed without breaking budget?
My 11 year old yorkie began trembling and having trouble walking 8 days ago. I took her to the vet the next day and she suspected IVDD. She put her on a pain reliever, prednasolome, and a muscle relaxer. She could still walk a bit when she went outside to go potty. 3 days ago she started to have extreme pain in her left shoulder/neck. She completely stopped walking but she tries and can stand and sit, but she falls over. I took her back to the vet and had an x ray done. They showed that the vertebrae between the neck and shoulder was very messed up. They kept her on the same meds. Is there hope for her? She is extremely healthy and fit. She is not over weight and was still very playful. She starts shaking and her neck muscles tighten and start twitching about 4 hours after I have given her the muscle relaxer, and she takes it every 12 hours so she is very tight for hours! What can I do for her? We cannot afford an MRI although wish we could. Also how often do I move her during the night? Thank you!
16 month old female husky (40 pounds) had a double patellar luxation surgery on 6/30. Grade 4 in both knees, severe muscle wasting and arthritis. The surgery was more complex than anticipated and involved the addition of rod placement. First couple of days fairly uncomplicated except that she would urinate in her kennel while asleep despite attempts at potty breaks.
She has now developed two huge seromas, one on each knee. She’s walking well, eating and drinking well. If anything she’s so close to her normal self. She’s still on gabapentin, trazodone and rimadyl.
The seroma on the left “burst” between sutures on Sunday despite the meds and confinement. It has continued to “burst” and release a LOT of serous fluid EVERY day since (today is day 4 of this).
She’s been back to the vet twice for this.
They said to:
Keep the meds
Stop passive ROM
Confine and keep down as much as possible
Warm compresses 3 times a day
They want to push back suture removal and have assured me that this will eventually stop. And if it continues for the next few days then we may consider other options.
She is walking around, standing up and turning around in her kennel despite the meds and obviously needs short walks to go pee/poop. These things cause the ruptures.
I am beyond frustrated and worried.
Does this care plan seem reasonable?
Does heat actually help? She’s so squirmy when I come near her kennel that it hardly seems worth it.
Any advice? Thank you!
Hi there. My dog Ruby had sudden onset Mast Cell Tumors present about 3 weeks ago. She’s an energetic 4 year old pit/great dane mix (I know because I spent a billion dollars on a DNA kit). I noticed about 7 subcutaneous lumps on her left side while she was outside playing. They felt like little oblong marbles under her skin. Our vet is an hour away. We had moved a few months back and kept our vet because we love him so much. We still see him for routine care. There is a vet very close to our home and I have read good reviews and have had email conversation previously when I was deciding whether or not to switch vets. I was concerned Ruby would have cancer, I just felt it, and didn’t want her to have to make several long trips to our vet if she were to require surgery, etc. So I decided to take her to the new close to home vet. As it is Covid-19 season, I did not get to go inside the vet’s office with her. They aspirated one of the lumps and were concerned. She was scheduled for surgery in the following week. I talked to my other vet about this, and he was not pleased to hear they aspirated her, because he was worried that the histamines from the tumor would cause it to spread. I was alarmed and researched Dr. Google for 2 days. It seemed to me after my research that the aspiration was standard course of care. Ruby had her surgery and had 2 large masses removed. They could not take all of them because there would have been too many incision sites. Directions for care included keeping her inactive for 10-14 days, not an easy dear with an anxious 65 lb lap dog. On day 7 of recovery, I noticed a fluid buildup around the incision site. Back to Dr. Google, I decided she had a seroma. I called the vet the next morning and we took her over and my suspicion was confirmed. They told us to call if it got worse. We still haven’t received the pathology back on the two masses that were removed. This morning I decided I needed to do more research, as two new masses have cropped up (the tumors, not seroma). Ruby is in good spirits and just wants to play and run with our other dogs. She’s mad at me, I’m sure of it, for making her lay around all day. Is it normal to have a seroma after surgery? Why do these tumors pop up all of a sudden?
I rescued a box of kittens that were thrown in a cardboard box wet to die four years ago. My fiancé kept one that we named Stoker (a tuxie that reminded me of Bram Stoker). Three months ago he blocked. We got him in to the emergency vet and transferred him to our regular clinic. Over the last three months he has had nothing but complications from infections of the sutures outside, to irritation and swelling. We finally got the last two outer sutures out at the vet about a month ago and were not charged. However today temperatures soared and he has been panting nonstop. His body temp is 101.9, and I have been wetting him down with a wet wash rag. He then vomited nothing but hair and water (assume from over grooming because of heat). Finally got him in an a/c room and he vomited again. He is twitching in his hind end. I tried to insert a sterile curved syringe into the new opening and cannot get it further than 1/4” so instead of heat stroke I am now worried the hole may have healed over. We have no income as we have both become unemployed. I am desperate for help.
I got a 9 week old kitten, and she has been diagnosed with a calcium deficiency. She has mouth drops from the vet, but is sleeping a lot a walking very weakly. What is the recovery time and what should I expect? I’m so worried.
My 1 year old cat has been diagnosed with FLUTD last night. They gave her fluids and a pain med, along with prazopan (is that right?) I haven’t noticed her having went pee yet since they empties her bladder…. Is this something I should be concerned about?
9 year bichon poodle who had low platelets in May 37.5. prednisone for 10 days platelets went up to 170. Off the medication for 2 weeks levels 143. We did not keep her on prednisone. Does homeopathic medicine affect platelets? Yesterdy blood test was at 90. Will she have to be on predinisone everyday for the rest of her life? She is acting normally other than that.