My cat had a urinary block and I was able to get him to a clinic that was affordable. It was a piece of mucus that was blocking him, not his kidneys. I now have a catheter in him + guided not to take him back out to the clinic as it was a very Trumatic experience for my cat. They messed up putting the catheter in and he sat in that for hours. He is eating drinking sleeping so I decided not to take him back out there today per the request. My question is, how do you safely remove a catheter from a male cat?
Hi my cat was neutered on July 21st. He has eaten normally & pooped normally but for a couple days now I haven’t noticed any urine in his box. I wish I had paid closer attention to it in the beginning to see if this has been a problem since the surgery or only the last couple days. I’m worried he might have some sort of obstruction but reading about the vet procedures we can’t afford thousands to have him unblocked. I hate I got him neutered now because apparently they did something to cause this & now my cat will likely die if I don’t find low cost help in my area. I’m around Pensacola, FL. If you know of any places that can help please let me know! Also if it was something they did to cause this shouldn’t they fix it? Curious how neutering could cause obstruction. Thanks!
My male cat has trouble passing urine today, went to the vet and was diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis. He’s not completely blocked only passing tiny dribbles of urine. Was prescribed an anti inflammatory, pain meds and new wet food. He’s been drinking lots of water and not eating since we got back from the vet. I’m worried about him. Was told to wait and see and then come back if no change or symptoms worsen. He’s been hiding under the bed no improvement. Won’t eat. We have some calming spray and topical drops coming in the mail soon just to see if that helps with any stress. Would love to hear anything you can contribute.
I have a 2 1/2 year old male cat, Clyde, who has been has been urinating outside of the litter box for 4 months. When I first noticed Clyde was urinating outside of his litter box I thought it was related to stress from a temporary move and that the behavior would stop after he returned home. Clyde would hiss/growl if I walked by him while he was urinating. Clyde returned home and continued to urinate outside of the litter box so I took him to the vet. They found a few crystals in a urinalysis (the only procedure they did) and they had me switch his food to urinary tract canned food (2 months ago). After being switched to the new food for one month, Clyde’s urinating and hissing continued and he began to hide often so I took him back to the vet for a check up. They did another urinalysis and found fewer crystals. They prescribed a 10 day dose of antibiotics (Orbax 20 ML). That was over a month ago and his condition has only gotten worse. On two occasions in the last week (one this morning) he began to hiss and growl for 5 minutes after urinating. After continual hissing and growling he began to yelp and squeal for 20 minutes. During this time he was panting very heavily, cleaning his urethra, rolling over and curling up, and his eyes were half way closed with a strange look on his face. I took him to the vet after that happened this morning. The vet could not get Clyde to go to the bathroom, although his bladder wasn’t full. The vet was worried he was already obstructed or at least partially obstructed and recommended doing a series of things including a urinalysis, urine culture, X-ray, and a urinary catheter with fluid therapy. From there the vet would prescribe any medications needed. I had to take my cat home because there was absolutely no way I could afford this (the procedures totaled around $1500). I’m 20 years old without the financial income necessary to afford the extensive tests I mentioned. So I’m sharing all of this information to get a second opinion. I wanted to see if there’s any way Clyde could get better just by being prescribed the most popular anti-biotic/pain medication or without doing a complete exam. Clyde has not urinated since before I took him to the vet this morning (24 hours). If he begins to obstruct (if he hasn’t already begun) is there any way I can save him without having the money for treatment? Clyde means the world to me and I’d be willing to try anything to help him. Any feedback is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank you.