my dog had had red skin and was constantly biting and scratching himself and he would get sores where he would scratch so much. He also had some dandruff. I read about it on google and thought it could be a food allergy so i changed his food a while ago and it got better super fast, but he’s still constantly scratching and rolling around and i’m not sure why. His fur is a bit dry and rough so i’m thinking it could be his fur scratching him, i’m not sure. Is there any products or anything at all you would recommend?
Blue is an approximately 7-8 year old Rottweiler. I recently adopted her last year from a family that had adopted her 5 years before when she was brought to a Rottweiler rescue as a stray. Recently have some issues with her licking paws and biting at the hair on her legs, also severe dandruff with scaly scabs along her flank with leathery skin, also scabbing along the outer ridges of her ears. I initially suspected an allergy as have had rottweilers before and experienced their tendency to have allergy to food etc. Visited the vet about the skin, did antibiotics and it subsided but not completely cleared up. I decided to change food and in doing so she had 2 bouts of diarrhea that both had to be treated with metronidazole. In this process comes the problem, on one of those visits my vet discovered her spleen was enlarged. confirmed by xray, no masses just enlargement. In process of having her thyroid checked by a 3 panel test as I think the vet is going in the direction of a low thyroid causing multiple ear/skin infections which in turn is enlarging the spleen. I did check with previous owner and she has had skin/ear infections in past, treated by Keflex and allergy shot but never confirmed as to why. Vet stated she has little confidence at this point it could be cancer, but possible. we are embarking on finding out why her spleen is enlarged… My question is has anyone had a similar situation and or what do you think will be the outcome? Also if this does play out as a thyroid issue, given proper treatment will the spleen return to healthy size or will it need to be removed? I am aware of the possibility of hemangiosarcoma and do know what that outcome would most likely be.
My cat was taken in to the vet in May to treat allergies, difficulty breathing (snoring sounds) and a head tilt. Was given an anti inflammatory, antibiotic (convenia), vitamin b-12, ear drops, and an X-ray. Diagnosed with asthma brought on by allergies. Lungs ok. Three weeks later breathing and itching had improved, but third eyelid started showing.
Vet would not see him and said to go to a specialist.
Took the cat for a second opinion. That vet said we should check for nasal polyps. Was sedated and had an exam of ears and throat. No polyps were visible. Vet felt a small enlarged area under the soft palate, but could not confirm this was a polyp. Head tilting stopped after first visit. Recurred a few days ago. Not present now. Second vet recommended going to a specialist for ct scan. It is cost prohibitive and I’m not sure it is necessary. Third opinion from an online site recommended we try antibiotics for the respiratory issues. Started on one antibiotic today for ten days. And started on purina fortiflora.
Looking for any other advice or experience with issues like this. I’ve never had a cat with these problems.
#cats #nasal #headtilt #respiratory #polyps
I was just wondering if a skin scraping was done could you tell from that if a dog has skin cancer my dog had one done to see if she had mange and my vet said she had skin allergies and allergic to grass but she kept getting worse I took her to a second vet and was told she had skin cancer I was just wondering if it was possible to tell that from a skin Scraping
About six months ago or so I noticed a small pea size growth on the outside of my dogs paw. we took him to the vet and they didn’t seem concerned about it but it has grown a little bit bigger (im not sure if due to it being irritated) to the size of a pistachio. he doesn’t seem bothered by it but occasionally bumps or scratches it by accident causing to to bleed. were taking him to the vet today to possibly get it removed, but what could it be? he is a 10 year old bulldog mix in great health aside from having allergies and being prone to skin issues.
I have a 14 year old cat and overall she is in really good shape for her age, except for allergies. She is on a special diet of Royal Canin Calm dry food and Hydrolyzed treats. I also give her the med in gravy once a day. She just had a senior lab workup a week ago and her glucose was elevated and the vet is concerned it might be diabetes ( I’ve been advised that a diagnosis of diabetes cannot be made just on one lab test – makes sense). I also found out that the med she takes, and has taken for awhile (which is Prednisolone), causes the blood glucose to go up and can lead to diabetes. I am livid! I’ve asked the vet and a compounding pharmacist all along if there were any long term negative side effects for her taking this med and they both said emphatically no. That was a lie. Raising the sugar over time and causing diabetes is actually a very significant negative side effect. I need to immediately change to a liquid allergy med (that we can have flavored like with chicken – works well), that does not raise the sugar and is safer than Prednisolone. I’m in the medical profession and Prednisone in humans can be an evil drug and causes problems in diabetic patients, for example my wife. Need your help. Thanks much.
My pug is getting like small red bumps in his fur are they allergies should i be worried
My poor baby had a swollen paw a few days ago. She has lots of allergies so we took it easy, took some Benadryl with lots of peanut butter, and the swelling went down as normal. Tonight I noticed some discoloring in her paw and found a large blister. She isn’t favoring it or even pulling away from me while touching it. Any ideas?? ?? calling her vet first thing in the morning but wondering if there is anything I can do in the mean time. I feel AWFUL. ? Please help if you can.
Hi, I am the proud owner of 5 whippets, 1 boy and 1 girl, 3 puppies that were born on the 18th December making the puppies 11 days old now. Nellie, Mum of the puppies, developed swelling on one of her teats behind her hind legs, also she only started developing milk from one teat. I took her to the vet in regards to this and was prescribed antibiotics and was advised to put a cold towel on the inflamed teat. One thing I do not understand is the vet advised to just keep switching the puppies between teats but only one teat is producing milk. How can that benefit the puppies because surely that will promote bloating from the teats that do not produce. No advice was given in regards to feeding them myself while she has a fever and only one functional teat. My question is, was the vet right in the advice she gave?. I’m baffled because now I have Nellie who is starting to show symptoms of allergy to the antibiotics, I have crying pups and Nellie has spent more time away from them than normal. The puppies cry even after feeding from her but they do eventually calm down. I’ve had to intervene to assist the puppies in pooing, Nellie only seems to want to stimulate their bits to pea. I just don’t know what to do, I feel like challenging the advice of the vet because I’m starting to believe that with only 1 teat developing milk then surely that’s a sign that something is not right. I have to go back to the vets today at 11:40GMT and was looking for advice, if any, in regards to the situation. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
I have a 2 yr 8 mo old cat Milo who I am desperate to find relief for. He has been sick since I adopted him at 4 months. I was told right away by the shelter vet that he had feline herpes, and that he would always be sick, but that we could treat the symptoms. Over the next 2 years, we have found ourselves at every vet in the area, seeking out treatment options for Milo, and have also had emergency visits on 5 different occasions when Milo got to the point that he could barely breathe. Milo means more to me than anything in the world, and I have promised him that I will never stop searching and fighting for an answer to help him feel better.
Milo is getting worse as he gets older. At this point, his breathing is audible 24/7 (snoring/snorting noises with every breath) regardless of what antibiotic he’s on. He sneezes dramatically (sometimes 10 times in a row) to the point that there is snot on many of the walls/windows. He makes choking noises/coughing as if there is congestion stuck in his throat that he is trying to get out. There are times at night when I am woken by his breathing because it gets so loud. He occasionally is struggling so much with congestion that he will find a quiet place to sit and close his eyes while he mouth-breathes.
At some vet visits, he ironically ends up breathing/feeling a bit better when we get there and they’ll tell me “this is a healthy cat!” and I go home only for his symptoms to return.
However, at other visits over the years Milo has been diagnosed with allergies, asthma, conjunctivitis, viral URI infection, bacterial infections, etc. We’ve tried Benadryl, terramycin, doxycycline, L-Lysine, Famciclovir, prednisolone, azithromycin, little remedies nasal saline and nebulizing sterile saline. The next step is nebulization of Gentamycin (which I called every pharmacy in the area trying to find and ended up having to order from a specialty pharmacy.) It won’t be in until the middle of next week, and it breaks my heart to watch Milo struggle as we wait for yet another antibiotic that might not work.
Recently we found a vet who suggested they thought Milo has nasal polyps, but said that I would need to see a specialist to find out for sure. At this recommendation, I immediately made Milo an appointment 45 minutes away (and over a month wait). When we finally got in, the specialist told me that it was very unlikely that Milo had nasal polyps, as they are not common in younger cats. They offered to do some preliminary testing to rule out other illnesses first. They did bloodwork and xrays (which cost $900) and found that Milo was positive for Bordatella and Mycoplasma infections. The herpes test came back negative, but they told me that it often comes back with a false negative when the infection is chronic. They put him on an azithromycin paste which didn’t help whatsoever, and then suggested the gentamycin nebulization. They said that if Milo isn’t showing improvement after a week of the nebulized antibiotic, that we could consider a rhinoscopy and a CT scan to check for other underlying problems (such as polyps) which would run around $2600 total.
I should note that all of this is cost-prohibitive for me, but as I’m sure you can tell, I would spend every dime I had if it made Milo better. Any suggestions or recommendations that you have for us are GREATLY appreciated as I feel like we are nearing a dead end. We are 4 hours from your office but id be more than willing to come out there for your help.
Thank you in advance,
Courtney & Milo