Hello. I have a 15 year old Dachshund, Brody, who is currently suffering from a cervical IVDD injury. This is Brody’s third IVDD injury in his short life, however, it is the most severe. We are not sure what happened this time since Brody was injured when we got home from work. Today is day 7 since Brody went down. While Brody is able to right himself from the lateral position, he does spend most of his time on his side. Brody is able to lift his head and look around, he can scoot himself from one position to another, he has a fantastic appetite, he has feeling in his hind quarters and only deep pain in his front two. My poor boy is not able to consistently empty his bladder and has required cathing; as of today, with the help of lactulose, Brody has been able to empty his bowels, incontinent.
Brody is not a candidate for surgery due to his age and other health conditions, so we are managing him conservatively. Brody has been seen by his regular vet where he was started on prednisone, robaxin, & gabapentin; he also takes CBD and I just started him on tumeric paste. Brody has seen a holistic vet where he had acupuncture done with electro stimulation.
My question is, how long do I give him before we decide that enough is enough? Brody is not in extreme pain, but he does have occasional neck/shoulder spasms that make him scream. I just am afraid of putting him through more than what I should just because I am not ready to let him go. Brody has been my guy for 15 years and I cannot imagine life without him, but I don’t want him to suffer. I have watched Dr. Magnifico’s YouTube videos about giving IVDD dogs time, but what is a realistic timeframe?
My cat has been getting frequent erections for the past 3 weeks, every time he gets them he yells and screams, He has also started to stay in his litterbox longer than usual. without going. Should i be worried?
My APBT was playing in the yard 3 days ago when I herd her scream and then suddenly her back legs were paralyzed. As I was running to her she dragged herself across the yard and cut her legs and belly. The vet said it could be either a ruptured disc or fce. Only an mri could determine. However, the MRI is $3500 and due to the expense, I opted to wait and see. She is on prednisone, Gabapentin and Tramadol. She is able to get herself up (wobbly) and walk with a rear lift to pee. She hasn’t pooped yet, but the meds cause constipation. Her back right leg is very weak and can’t hold weight. That leg is knuckling less and less. My question is, should we be doing PT at this point or still resting?
My 8-year old Shiba Inu had her last good eye enucleated this March (after beginning a battle with glaucoma that took her other eye last March). The recovery from the first enucleation was perfect–but this time around, she developed a seroma. We had it drained via syringe in April after we realized that the eye “bulge” wasn’t the prosthetic eye but, rather, the fluid. Dog had also been screaming and pawing at her eye (more like rubbing alongside it, not directly clawing the site with her nails). The drain revealed it was infected, so she took antibiotics. Then the seroma came back again a few weeks later with my dog screaming and pawing at her eye. Had it drained again; wasn’t infected this time. Then she started screaming/pawing again a few weeks later once more, and we repeated the draining process for a third time. She’s been excellent since then–with the site looking more “sunken” like it’s supposed to (and not swollen). Until yesterday, when she started screaming/pawing again. My dog has now had this problem for four months, and today she screamed/pawed off and on ALL DAY. My vet suggested that I consult with the opthamologist who performed the enucleation about doing a possible debridement procedure, which I am tomorrow. However, I wanted to get other opinions on this before I/as I speak with them. How can we tell whether it’s a stubborn seroma that we perhaps never should have drained versus an issue where a surgeon left something behind in there, especially given that it’s not infected any more? Are there scans (e.g., ultrasound) that can be done to shed some light on this without going under the knife to see what’s up, or is that the only way? Money’s not an issue; just worried about pup doing surgery again given her age. Thank you!
IVDD : BEAGLE MIX
I am looking for more information and support for my fur baby Willow. She is a beagle Chihuahua mix. She got diagnosed with ivdd. It is in her neck area. She is still using the bathroom. She is still eating (sometime’s cries with soft food but still eats). She is against water. So I’ve been mixing her food with water.
She is on medication. A pain reliever, steroid and an antibiotic. A long with cage rest for eight weeks. This all started yesterday morning around 10am. This is day two. She has rested some and screames when trying to move at times. That heart wrenching scream that just seems to last way to long. I have laid with her the last two days to try and comfort her. The more she cries I keep wondering if the wait time is worth it.
Is there a good chance of recovery in the neck? Should I get her a brace?
How long before I notice a difference after medications?
I have a 2 1/2 yr old black lab pitty mix. We got her when she was 6 months and have been taking her to the park since she was able, and she’s been fixed since she was 10 months old. Recently there have been some aggressive or over hyper dogs at the park and she has been lunged at or almost attacked on almost 5 occasions now. The last time I had her on the leash and a dog came at us to the point where I had to scream for help for fear it would severely injur her or me for 5 minutes before it’s owner figured out what was going on and slowly walked over to get his dog while my dog was snapping and shaking between my legs in fear. Now when I take her into the park she’s very timid and defensive, and doesn’t trust new dogs. She is also more possessive and focussed on toys when she used to not care. What can I do to make her feel safer in the park? She still loves dogs one on one, and ones she already knows, but I don’t want this fear to progress into aggression.
Been crate training my 12 week pup. He was fine with being in it while im home. He would sleep. But now while im away i put him in he went in yesterday. I left for work. Now today he wont go in and he screams when i leave after i have coaxed him in. Will this stop eventually? I feel so bad. I know it takes time for then to get used to it for sure
My Daschund has cervical IVDD and has had complete crate rest, on steroids, and pain meds for almost 8 weeks.
Little improvement, now the pain meds aren’t helping to keep the pain managed, he is screaming constantly, is starting to wobble, and I am afraid that he has relapsed.
I feel he is in pain, and has now started to cry out at night, even though I get up to medicate him through the night.
He has gone through one episode 2 and a half years ago with conservative treatment and a FULL recovery.
The cost of surgery is not affordable for us, plus we have 5 other daschunds that do not have IVDD …including his sister.
I am hating to see him suffer, so what should I do?
I have 2 dogs one is in the vet now because she was screaming in pain. They thought it was a disc but nothing showed in X-ray although it could still be that. But my other dog is not doing the same thing
JA: I’m sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I’ll connect you to the Veterinarian.What is the dog’s name and age?
Customer: Lexi who’s in the vet is 10 and jiggy I believe is 4 he’s a rescue so not exactly sure
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lexi?
Customer: No other than she was having trouble breathing possibly anxiety from the pain but they both started this on Monday she got really bad and he’s now starting to scream more. They’re keeping Lexi for a few days
Anybody recently have a dog diagnosed with ivdd. My 4#chihuahua woke up about a week ago screaming and couldn’t move. I had no idea what was wrong no accident happened. We rushed her to the vet and did x rays he said she has ivdd. That’s been a week ago and she’s still in pain and can’t get up. He put her on prednosone and tramadol.
I guess my question is when will I see some improvement this hurts me so bad hearing and watching my baby in pain.