Hi. My Welsh Springer was drinking alot but not eating for 4 days and following an ultrasound was diagnosed with pyometra. She underwent surgery ten days ago.
Since having the operation she still refuses to eat. She has had anti nausea treatment as well as mirtazapine. The vet has now also prescribed trazodone. We did book her in to stay at the vets for a couple of days and they said she did eat some chicken. They showed me a video as evidence. Physically they could find nothing wrong with her. On returning home she still refuses to eat but is drinking. She will not eat anything, even her favourite treats, her usual dog food, nothing. So far it has cost me nearly £2000 for her treatment and I have no funds left. It really feels as though she will starve herself to death, although I thought dogs would never do this. I have tried restoring her old pattern of eating and have removed uneaten food after an hour and offered her nothing until her next meal but she still will not eat. I am at a loss as what to do next. Thanks for your advice. Andrew.
Is it normal for a cat in heat to have abdominal swelling? My cat is 3 yrs old and we have been meaning to spay her, but she goes into heat so often it’s hard to find time to do it. She is currently in heat and has been for over a week, and last week she had shown asymmetrical swelling on the left and right of her belly. The next day it went down so I figured it was nothing serious and probably swelling from being in heat. Now it has been a week she is still in heat and her abdomen seems just ever so slightly fuller on the right and left and firm. She is crazy in heat and doesn’t show any signs of being sick, acting normal, eating drinking, playing and jumping.
Is it possible for a cat in extreme heat to cause extreme swelling of the ovaries to where they would be palpable? I’m worried it could be early signs of pyometra, or if this is normal with heat. Her cycles have gotten more intense and extreme, as well as longer and more often, which makes me think it could be possible her reproductive system is simply engorged with blood causing it to be palpable.
If that (the swelling) is not normal with heat then I’ll take her to the vet ASAP, but again she is not grossly distended, she just appears “full”. Also there is no chance of pregnancy. Thanks.
Hi, I just had a scare with my mini 10yo Pomeranian, diagnosed with CHF heart murmur 5/6, but went to the cardiologist and said she has grade 2 murmur, no CHF, but mitral valve disease… During this whole thing, I noticed a bump on her nipple, and mentioned it to the vets, but wasn’t worried enough cus there was so much going on w her heart. Now that we got that cleared up w Cardio, I’ve caught my breath but am even more anxious to think she has Pyometra. I’ve been noticing sticky, red discharge from her vagina for a while now, mentioned it to cardio vet, had no comment. I had mentioned it to her regular ver before, and butt scooching, and they cleaned her anal glands. I am beyond anxious and so scared to lose my baby girl. I have an appointment for her to be spayed, which I was already anxious about due to her age and enlarged heart, but now I feel so hopeless and I’m sorry but I’m having trouble trusting vets… i know I shouldn’t say this but how has no one caught anything… Its a much longer story, I’m sorry. I noticed today a lot more discharge, it used to just accumulate a bit in her vag, but noticed it across her bum today… It was hard to tell at first cus she’s black, but I just don’t know what to do. Should I reschedule spay appointment earlier? Anyone, please help me… Not even sure how this site works… found it online researching Pyo…
photos are kinda graphic, sorry..
Princess is 7 months old she’s a Maltese and a big part of mine and my son’s life. Princess really needs testing and treatment done ASAP! She’s not eating she has pyometra and If its not taken care of soon, princesd could be looking at dangerous health complications.
I don’t have the funds for it all! I’ve tooken her twice to the vet but this time am all out of funds but I found a non profit that helps raise money for animals. ALL OF THE MONEY GET PAID DIRECTLY TO THE VET through this 3rd party organization.
Princess in so much pain. And she’s lost so much waight and she’s so week I don’t want to lose my princess my son and I would be heart broken if this happens. My son comes home from school every day asking me are we going to lose princess i tell him no that am going to do everything i can for that not to happen
Please Click Here to DONATE https://freeanimaldoctor.org/campaigns/princess/
Anything you can give helps & God bless you all
Anyone who wants to help my baby 🙁 she was diagnosed with pyometra and needs surgery if not treated with antiobiotics. She’s a happy dog but is weak now and i just can’t watch her shiver the whole time 🙁 it will cost much but i really can’t afford it. Anybody who has big heart 🙁 ???
– from Philippines ??
Recovery post Pyometra surgery? I paid 2800 for vet services, long story short $680 was the first visit where x-rays where. Completed, sent home with two antibiotics and a probiotic. Then received a call from the facility that a follow up ultrasound should be conducted due to possible Pyometra infection. Went the next day, it was confirmed and emergency surgery was perform today at 4pm and the dog was given back to us at 8pm, they said not to give anything until 5am tomorrow morning, and to continue the antibiotics that were given to use Initially before noted of Pyometra infection. My Question is; there is only about 6 days left on the antibiotics, they only gave us pain medications for 3 days, they said they gave the first dose but my dog is whimpering in pain. They said do not give pain meds until 5am. Looking now at the pain bottle there are 4 once daily pills, but they said they only gave us 3 days. My question is can I give her the extra pain pill(she is a 3.3lbs morkie) Bc I know pain pills depressed respiration’s and isn’t antibiotics for post surgery suppose to be for two weeks not only 5-6 days.
My sweet 9 year old Australian Cattle Dog was spayed when she was about a year old, according to her adoption paperwork. However, she has always had a bit of a “heat cycle,” with some bleeding twice a year. The vet told us not to worry about it.
Now, all these years later, I have this suspicion that she has stump pyometra. However…she has no clear symptoms, only some lingering brown discharge and a slightly saggy belly, a few months after her pseudo-heat cycle. She just had her annual exam, and the vet said everything looked fine. She is eating (a little less than she used to), drinking (not excessively), playing (like a senior dog), eliminating (no diarrhea or increased urination or incontinence), happy, etc. BUT I still have this suspicion.
I am normally not an overly protective pet person. Our other beloved dog died in May, and I worry that my grief is impacting my decision-making skills. Should I subject my poor old girl to testing for stump pyometra even though she isn’t acting ill? I couldn’t bear to stress her out unnecessarily in her golden years…
-Some weight loss over the past 6 months, but she was chubby before and also grieved the loss of her dog companion with a short hunger strike
-Slightly saggy belly, but no indication of pain when examined
-Reluctant to jump up onto the bed/couch (vet says this is normal for her age)
-Occasional brown discharge, very small amounts
-Occasional white drop of liquid seen on her vaginal area
-Sometimes looks directly at me and seems sad, like she needs something and can’t figure out how to tell me (or maybe she just wants a treat!)
Am I just being paranoid because I can’t bear the thought of losing another dog so soon? I love her and want to do the right thing. She is stoic, and I’m not sure she would let on if she was in pain. Thank you for your opinion. <3
My dog was diagnosed with pyometra . I googled home remedies after 2 doses there just blood coming out no pus and she had a bowel movement is this good news ?
My 9yr old dog was just diagnosed with open Pyometrea. She started meds today and as soon as the vet thinks she is able to safely have the surgery it will be done. My question is…. Is there anything that I can do for her pain in the meantime besides Tylenol? Vet didn’t say much and she is in pain. A hot towel a massage anything?I need to help her
I had my 1year old cat spayed after being diagnosed with pyometra 8 days ago, she was on antibiotics for a week after. She recovered nicely, active eating and drinking and being herself 2 days after. I gave her pain and fever syrup for 4 days and stopped it since she seemed fine. For 2 days now she seems a bit lethargic as if ahe has a fever, but plays if interacted with. Does her incision look healthy? Could this be the symptom of anything serious?