Good day- We are the proud owners of a one-year-old English Pointer named Bruno and a proud patient of Dr. Magnifico’s. Recently, Bruno has been shaking his head more often and scratching his ears. He has also been sleeping much more the past few days. When not sleeping, he is still pretty playful and eating/drinking. How do you know if he has an ear infection or not? His ears have been professional cleaned, but same actions with his head. Also, no smells coming from his ears. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Can someone give me some suggestions on nail trimming on a 1-year old Pointer? His nails and quick are black so that adds a challenge. As soon as he sees the nail clippers, he gets into a panic. Trying to hold him down is very stressful for both the dog and me as the owner (but I do try to remain calm and talk with him the entire time). Please advise tips so we can get to a better place and maintain his nails better. Thank you.
I have a Labrador I don’t know if she is pregnant she has excessive barking because sometimes we put her in the garage and she has her house there and she sleeps with my boy dog golden retriever the point is that I don’t know if Labrador is prevent and I really wan to place a barking collar on her but we don’t want that to get in the way of her puppies she might have but we don’t know if she is pregnant
Hello Pawbly friends-
Quick question. Our youngest GSD (1 & 1/2)is not comfortable getting his nails trimmed, and it is getting worse?I will admit- ever since I quicked our Dierks years ago, I am always apprehensive about doing nails. Butch HATES getting his nails trimmed. Riva “tolerates” it. I know it is important, so I take a deep breath, calm myself and keep going. My thinking is that Rontu can still sense my anxiety and I need to get it in check. I realize that I could bring him in to get his nails trimmed, but at this point, and how involved with my dogs I try to be, I feel bringing him in is a cop out of sorts. I am also feeling like trimming nails, as small as that sounds, has great potential in building a better level of trust- but I need to approach it just right. Any advice is so very appreciated ???thanks
1) 2010 CO vet adv 7/yr fem cat, fixed, front claws pulled (prev elderly owner afraid her cats would climb drapes etc). Cat afraid (no claw prot assumed) never wanted to go outside. Health etc good
2) great relatnshp next 10 years, i ret @12yrs ago, after @2 years we started talking to (i spk, she spks, i spk, etc) to each other. Also, didnt take long, w/in 5 min of me going to bed at nite (or naps etc) she would curl up on my chesr, watch until i fell asleep and then so did she.
3) i’ve lived RV’s all my life (excpt 20 years ‘65-85 worked maritime), she took to this wuite well, liked watching out window or curl on lap, nightime driving i turn on defroster, she likess watching oncoming headlites white sprawled out on dash &defrstr her warm.
4) been staying new places @a year then find new place &do same.
5)@1.2 yrs ago moved to page, AZ (largest 200mi lg, 2500mi circumf fresh water inland lake in usa, few yrs ago built solar powered boat this reason 1 for Page AZ; reason 2 4 Corners archeology, ancient native Am history etc)
3 yrs bldg boat Cat got used to boat & accepted boat @Almost@ as well as RV.
6) couple months after “calling Page new temp home Cat develops hair mats (long soft hair, appearance much like maine coon cat appearance), prev i always take to groomer, which she liked.
7)page pop 7000 mostly bat an, businesses, IF there is one of anything there is no 2, 3 etc iow NO competition on services or prices, only comp is.boat storage and small storage places
8) vet blows off helping with mats, cat still has teeth so nada ever done @ that.
9) vet takes BP say cats are identical to humans in this regard (my est of this vet dropped several points at this point) a humans BP can change a thoudand times a day and new places, out of rv comfort zone, strange people poking her, dogs eksewhere barking, all sorts of reasons a one time BP test useless. Meanwhile he says she has urinary tract inf (all prev signs re cat, litter box, excess h20 drinking, etc then never applied. Vet Refusing recommedg drugs, antibiotics, wet food etc. Vet stressed ONLY thing that would help was HIS brand dry food (forget name but same brand seen/sold in almost ALL vet ofcs. Dummy cat owner says ok and takes 2 8lb bags. Pays& leaves. Getting into RV and Cat settled looked at receipt: use of treatg room$60. 2 bags dry food $80.Dummy got real smart real quick & this collegeeducated BUSInESSMAN with triple ultra minor in screwing cat owners just relegated ti phq u u jerk!
10) 3 weeks later Cat keeps asking where food is & get rid of this dumpster dived excuse for cat food. So we head back to WallyWorld and study whats there. Low & behold 1 bag ONLY no grain “pure balance”hi protein also few sm cand fancy feast salmon&shrimp. First couple days started feeling like gaining then suddenly nada, losing ground. Last few weeks seldom to no catbox use, pees everywhere. Last night i had rolled on sude, when cant sleep on my checst, hip is great alternative, but woke up with right hip totally soaked. Cant tell her she can no longer sleep w/on me as thats gonna be even greater psycho hit. Clothes bedfing etc inste ad of usual 3-4 week trip to laundrmat is still 3-4 weeks but looks like 3-4 months. Couple hours ago had thougjt to thought to search “female cat urinary tract infection” on youtube, several hits but listening to vodeosbyours was more inteteveted in the pet than the high dollar competition prone.
11) she not doing well, looks worse, have med raising and training in addition to farm background. Unfortunately, putting farm raised animals down is no longer the answer when world culture teaches us to regard them as semi-human family members. I hate watching her wither aw ay keep hoping better alternative can be.
Thank you, Art
My dog is about 12 yrs old and had a rabies vaccine and blood work done little over 2 weeks ago. When I took him to the vet his belly was swollen are you little and I pointed that out to the veterinarian. After you gave the vaccine and got blood work done and at the veterinarian told me that his heart was not that good but his liver and kidneys were fine and I did not have thyroid problems but he has really bad teeth. His belly was just swollen for about a week and then I noticed a couple of white worms in his stool so I called the vet and got some warm medicine. Now his belly seems to of went down a little but he has some swelling that continues to get worse and there is swelling all over his stomach and his one right leg area. Now I cannot even lift his back legs up. I’m very worried.
My Dog is a 5-month-old Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix and she has been sick all her life. She came to us with Kennel Cough which then led to Pneumonia and she had to be hospitalized. Then after she got out she developed a rash which wasn’t that bad but about a month ago she started scratching herself to a point where she would cry. She has recently developed red bumps over her chest and sides and bites and scratches herself bloody. Today she has been very lethargic and is panting furiously with no obvious cause. We have mentioned this to our vet but she just gave us medicine and it hasn’t helped. She also told us if it gets worse we would have to do testing we don’t have the money for. What could be happening to her? What is a way that we could get money for the dog?
I want to post a question about my cat. I was touched and encouraged to find Dr. Magnifico’s blog as I am caring for my soon to be nineteen-year-old cat who has bone cancer in her right pelvis. She was diagnosed at the beginning of August and I have been fighting it and managing her pain with homeopathy (which I have studied for three years). I believe I have been managing her pain as she lays in relaxed postures, purrs, still “screeches” hungrily for breakfast in the morning (which has been liquid for a long time) and also “chirps” hello in the morning and when I come into the room. At times her muscles and body posture have become tense which I take as a sign of pain and adjust her medicine or give more and this always seems to work to bring her back to looking and acting comfortable.
Although the homeopathy appears to work for pain management, it has not stopped the progression of the cancer which at this point has impinged on her spinal column causing her to drag her right leg when hobbling and be unable to express her urine and bowel movements. I was taught by a veterinarian during my last visit to manually express her urine. When this doesn’t work, I just change the mattress pads in her bed. The problem is bowel which is stuck in her colon. The vet I took her to said the procedure to remove it manually would be too difficult on her and just encouraged me toward euthanasia. Her life force is still too strong for me to consider this.
The vet did tell me a week and a half ago that the piece of bowel stuck near the opening was about three inches long and suggested soap suds enemas and massage. I have been trying this twice a day with no results. The piece of bowel is wide at the opening and too long for me to reach in with a finger and guide it out complicated by the fact that I don’t really know what I am doing. Worrying about too many soap suds enemas, I have changed to coconut oil and water or just coconut oil.
I found this advice at https://www.handicappedpets.com/bowel-management-in-incontinent-pets/
Making your dog poop on command squeezing method
Use your fingertips to gently press and feel the soft tissue in a circular area around the anus. By pressing on the soft tissue, you may feel something firm inside the rectum. Spread your thumb and forefinger about 1 1/2″ apart, lay them on either side of the rectum, press inward on the soft tissue a little, and grip the stool right through the skin. Now you’ve got a good amount of skin and soft tissue pinched between your fingers and in the center of it is a piece of stool. If you pinch harder, the stool will break off within the rectum and the anus will open at the same time, and it naturally begins to come out. The beauty of this is that usually the remaining stool moves forward into position and you can repeat the procedure. Repeat until there is nothing inside the soft tissue. One thing I try to be careful about is not pinching too hard. I read somewhere about damaging the mucosa lining the colon. I also don’t want to prolapse the rectum. I keep a box of kleenex on the expressing station, and each time a piece of stool drops, I drop a tissue over it, which reduces the odor. You may go through a lot of kleenex this way, but I feel it’s worth it.
Is this something that would be safe to try on her?
My other question is: she continues to eat three meals a day which are blended raw chicken with a lot of added water and also pumpkin. I think it has been six weeks since she had a bowel movement. This cannot be good and I’m afraid this is what will be life-threatening before the cancer. Am I correct?
Thank you so much,