Question
Profile Image
Sarah | 3 years ago
Hi Pawbly Friends- My Mom Was Dog Sitting Tonight So That We Could Take The Kiddos…

Hi pawbly friends-
My mom was dog sitting tonight so that we could take the kiddos trick or treating and there was a fight between all three of our guys. Do not know the trigger. Our old guy is limping around and is pretty slow, and our girl is limping a bit. Our new guy seems no worse for the wear. My question is whether or not it is ok to keep them separated tonight or will that backfire on me for tomorrow when I take them for a walk to try and pack up again to move past this setback?

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Anonymous
Anonymous
2 years ago

Hi Sarah, I’m glad everything seems okay now. I would keep a close eye on them – someone gave a side eye to someone else, and obviously a fight broke out. You said you have two males, and that always concerns me, ESPECIALLY with breeds like GSDs. Good luck.

Question
Profile Image
Maxine Emery | 3 years ago
Hello!! I Have A Question Regarding My Dogs Behavior With Other Dogs At Dog Parks…

Hello!! I have a question regarding my dogs behavior with other dogs at dog parks but first, a little back story.. My dog is a 12 year old English chocolate lab, and very calm and relaxed. She loves to sleep and minds her own business around other dogs, as she isn’t a very excitable dog as much as she used to be when she was younger but she is also gotten extremely stubborn the older she’s gotten. If she wants something or wants to go somewhere, she will with out a doubt try her hardest to get what she wants (without injuring herself or others). So all that being said, on to the real problem..Over the past year I’ve started to notice this habit that always ends up in a fight at the dog park. She always plays well with other dogs and never has bitten or attacked another dog but I’ve noticed that (with no particular breed or method of choosing) when she is near another dog(usually at random), she tries to sniff their mouth and snout and always gets in their face until the other dogs have finally had enough and try to bite her in warning. She’s starting to do it more and more often and I don’t want her (or any other dogs) to be uncomfortable or get hurt because she’s being nosy. I’ve tried sticking close to her and making sure that when I notice that she starts this behavior I try to stop it as soon as possible but I don’t always catch it in time. Is this normal or is there some sort of corrective action that I can do so she stops doing that? Thank you for your help.. -Sincerely, A Concerned Dog Owner

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Laura
3 years ago

I’ll be honest, I don’t like dog parks because of the unrestrained behavior of poorly trained, rude dogs. Throw in a geriatric dog and it’s a recipe for disaster. I would stop taking her, and if you feel she needs to interact with other dogs, find a local friend with a dog that plays nicely with her, and set up playdates.

Question
Profile Image
Amaury Reyes | 3 years ago
Hello, My Name Is Amaury And I Recently Rescued A Male (Yorkie/Poodle) (the Vet Told…

Hello, my name is Amaury and I recently rescued a male (Yorkie/Poodle) (the vet told me he could be anywhere from 4 to 5 years old) and I introduced him to my older male dog (Yorkie/Maltese) whose 6 years old. My mom and I took both of the dogs out for walks. I’m walking my newer dog (Max) and my mom is walking my older dog (Yogi Bear). Side by side we walk around the neighborhood. For awhile nothing happens until we return back home. I realize now I probably shouldn’t have been doing this all in one day but max had no other place to go. The aggression in yogi begins as soon as we get to the front of the house. Yogi bear quickly turns on Max and fights him. Max is calm and doesn’t react with aggression. Max is just scared at this point. The aggression in yogi continues as we enter the house. We know Yogi has to be the first to everything so I let yogi in first and than max. The aggression continues inside the house within yogi and wants to snap at max. I learned some tips online and the past two days I’ve been making improvements with yogi. I praise him with treats and love when he’s calm. Obviously its my older dog Yogi Bears’ territory so I completely understand his frustration. I don’t know if they might ever get along but I have hope. Its been two days and I know can’t expect results this fast but I guess I’m just looking for a glimmer of hope because I don’t want to give my rescued dog away after all that he’s been through. It wasn’t our decision to rescue a dog he just fell into our laps and he’s really a great dog with no aggression except a little food aggression when I put my hand near his bowl but he’s already made some improvements with some tips I learned online. I’m guessing he just needed some real love. I keep them in separate rooms so they don’t fight. I feed yogi first then max. Max is very trainable. He’s a very obedient dog. It’s my older dog yogi who has the territorial aggression toward max. Today I ran with them with my brother holding onto max and side by side we got them both really tired. We go to my living room and I have them on two separate leashes with my brother holding onto yogi bear. Nothing happens for about 10 maybe 15 minutes. The exercise worked for the time being. They were resting right next to each other at 3 to 4 feet apart with yogi bear not being aggressive at all. But once the energy came back for yogi he was ready to snap and fight max again. When that happens, I just pick up yogi and put him down again. I grab a treat and I wait till he’s calm and I praise him when he is. When he doesn’t stay calm I correct him without any aggression. You can sense Max is scared but he is not at all aggressive. I always have their leashes on just in case but I’m hoping in the weeks or months to come I can have them off and leave them home alone together without any worries. I called a trainer and he told me theirs no use in spending money on training either of them which really left me really sad and discouraged because he never even came over to meet the dogs. He told me to get rid of max because my older dog yogi bear is too territorial just based of what I told him. I am not giving him away. I made that decision already. Please Help. Thank you. YOGI BEAR IS THE GREYISH BLONDE DOG. MAX IS THE DARK BROWN AND BLACK.

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
3 years ago

Good morning? I think it is great that you are rescuing another dog and giving him a chance. When we rescued our latest dog, they recommended a “2 week shut down”. If you look it up online, it may help give you some more tips. I believe it is a Victoria Stillwell article, but I’m pretty sure a lot of rescues recommend it and it should be fairly easy to find. I also think you are doing the right thing with walks. Walks help establish pack order… it’s clear that right now things are unstable, but as you said, it… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Danielle Jacob | 3 years ago
I Have A Cat That Keeps Getting In Fights And Now Has A Wound That…

I have a cat that keeps getting in fights and now has a wound that is causing his eye to be swollen shut and have no money to take him to the vet. Any advice out their to help him get better?

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
3 years ago

Hi there, I’m really sorry that you are strapped for cash right now, but getting your cat to a vet ASAP is imperative. The longer you wait, the worse your situation will be… and more costly. You’ve no idea if the other cat was carry8ng disease that your cat is now infected with. Your cat could very well end up losing their eye the longer you wait. As far as the cat fights and how to avoid them, keep your cat indoors and make sure they are spayed or neutered. If you truly cannot afford a vet visit at this… Read more »

Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Is he neutered? Can’t you keep him inside where he’s safer? Please reach out to all local rescues for assistance and advice. It sounds like he needs an antibiotic and pain medication. Please do not give anything OTC to cats. Especially for pain. Most human medications are very toxic to cats.

Question
Profile Image
connor harrison | 3 years ago
Stroking My Cat And Noticed A Scab/mole/spot Not Entirely Sure What It Is But Think…

Stroking my cat and noticed a scab/mole/spot not entirely sure what it is but think it’s most likely a scab. Not sure how he got it and it’s on his forehead between his eye and ear. He’s an indoor cat so not from fighting or anything. Should I take him to get to get it checked? Can’t go until Monday as they are closed for the weekend. Cheers – Connor

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Hello.
If it doesn’t look infected and your cat isn’t bothered by it it is probably safe to wait until your vet is open

Question
Profile Image
Gina Perugi | 3 years ago
A Few Nights Ago A Stray Cat Was In Our Yard For The Second Time…

A few nights ago a stray cat was in our yard for the second time. Every time our cats see him in the yard, they fight each other very bad. Two of the cats are fine and got over it right away (they are nine years old) the third cat (shes five) can not be brought out around the other two girls or she will fight them. We have kept her separate from them since it happened. Tonight I bought a feliway collar to calm her, planning to keep her locked up still, in our guest room with a bed, her own food, litter, and toys. One of the other cats was curious when I was leaving the room so I held the door cracked to where they could barely see each other and the one in the room immediately started hissing and growling, so I shut the door and left her to be alone. I have a few concerns, how can I fix this to have them get along again, they were fine her first five years, and also, I am nine months pregnant, so soon I will be bringing a baby home and that is also another stressor being added into the home….

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Anonymous
Anonymous
3 years ago

Honestly, I’d get her vetted first…and then I’d find a way to prevent them from seeing the stray outside.

Question
Profile Image
Judy Gagne | 3 years ago
My 15 Wk Old Kitten Needs A Feeding Tube And Emergency Vet Released Him After…

My 15 wk old kitten needs a feeding tube and emergency vet released him after 3 days because I had no money left ($1600 paid). He fights syringe feeding, will not eat at all or drink (URI) and is so dehydrated. I am doing all I can but he is not going to make it unless I can get nutrition and fluids into him. Bad diarrhea and some vomiting as well. He can’t die!!

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
3 years ago

Just to add- explain your situation about what you’ve paid our. See if there is a lower cost way to get the help or a payment plan you can sign up for or special funding you are eligible for.

Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Hello,
Please call your regular vet and every local rescue/shelter to find someone who can help. Keep calling and keep looking. I wish you both well.

Question
Profile Image
Bobbie Ehrenfeld | 4 years ago
What Is The Best Way To Treat An Open Wound From A Dog Fight?

What is the best way to treat an open wound from a dog fight?

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

The best way is to see your vet for help. In my opinion EVERY dog fight wound is infected and EVERY wound needs a vet for assessment, antibiotics and pain medication. I should also mention that in many states not getting help can be considered neglectful and in many states this can be punishable. Please get help for your dog Iif they have a wound.

Question
Profile Image
Derek Hartlove | 4 years ago
Getting A Puppy After Losing A Puppy With Parvo In November 2017. Hello All, We Adopted…

Getting a puppy after losing a Puppy with Parvo in November 2017.

Hello all,
We adopted a puppy on the night of October 30th 2017. We discovered he had Parvo and was admitted to the animal hospital on November 3rd, after 5 days of fighting under 24/7 care, unfortunately he didn’t make it. His last day in our home was November 3rd. We are set to adopt puppy in August or September of this year. I have sprayed the yard with bleach and water and have steam cleaned all the carpets and put bleach on surfaces we could within our home. Our goal was to give at least 6 months time before having a new puppy. We would be getting an 8week old puppy in August or September which means it would be a 10 or 11 month span since a puppy with Parvo was in the home. Is this ok and will it be safe for the new puppy? Is there precautions I could take with my vet (Dr. Mag)? If so, please give me info on the steps to take in order to make the chance of our new puppy getting Parvo very unlikely.

Thank you for your time and responses, as it is greatly appreciated

3 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
3 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Hello, I’m so sorry about your puppy. I think a few things are very important to highlight. First remove and dispose of all of the puppies stuff. It’s just safest. 2. Clean everything thoroughly that you can’t remove. Bleach at a 1:30 ratio is good to use. 3. Maybe consider a dog who is over 16 weeks and already fully vaccinated? 4. If you do get a puppy make sure it has seen a vet and been vaccinated by the vet before it comes to your home. A breeder vaccine is not appropriate (my opinion). After that protect your pup… Read more »

Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Hello!
I would be happy to help can you call me tomorrow at the clinic and we can discuss details? 410-692-6171. Xoxo to you both. Krista

Question
Profile Image
PAULA GREEN | 4 years ago
Possible Seroma? Our Two Females Got Into A Fight About 2 Weeks Ago. …

Possible seroma? Our two females got into a fight about 2 weeks ago. Had a couple punctures on her legs. We saw a vet. She had a course of antibiotics. She also had a scratch across her chest. This scabbed over. Now today she has a huge tennis ball size fluid filled lump on her chest (between her front legs). Saturday…do we need to take to vet or can we wait until Monday? Also we had a surgical insemination done on her 1 week ago. So possibly pregnant. Should I start her on another round of antibiotics (amoxicillin)?
Thanks

4 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,333 Comment threads
451 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
4 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Without knowing what the cause of the swelling is I cannot offer guidance? I would be worried about a possible abscess or infection. If your dog is eating and acting completely normal the may be able to wait until Monday? But if it is infection the longer you wait the more difficult and dangerous it can be.

Krista Magnifico
3 years ago

Hello,
I think that based on everything going on you should see a vet. Better to be safe than sorry. And I wouldn’t start an antibiotic without your vets ok if she might be pregnant.