We brought Mila, my 7 year old mixed domestic savannah chausie female spayed kitty, early this morning for emergency attention because she was moaning and groaning in pain last night and could hardly move. Prior to this morning she had been seen two weeks ago at the same emergency clinic and her primary vet. Both determined she had crystals and a UTI and prescribed medication which we’ve been giving as instructed along with keeping her on the strict urinary care diet from hills c/d.
She tried yesterday and this morning to use the litter box but was unsuccessful in relieving herself so we had to treat it as if she was experiencing a blockage which you know is very dangerous.
The Dr. was able to express Mila’s full bladder and found no blockage there, but said Mila was in a lot of pain while undergoing the procedure. She did not feel any stool so Mila is not considered to be constipated, but a good sized stone or crystal was visible during the ultrasound.
The Dr. strongly believes Mila still has a UTI and wants to get that under control first, so we were given the following medications:
Prazosin (for urethral spasms)
We were also instructed to increase the dosage of the Gabapentin from 0.3ml every 12 hours to 0.5ml every 8 hours since it didn’t seem to be doing enough in terms of managing Mila’s pain. She was previously on buprenorphine for pain but we were concerned that it was constipating her.
We need to bring Mila in as soon as possible to perform another urinalysis and culture as was recommended by the Emergency clinic. This was recommended to determine whether or not the bacteria from the UTI has spread to Mila’s kidneys.
We chose to decline those diagnostics at the emergency Clinic today as they were going to charge an additional $800 for an already expensive treatment and we felt more comfortable going through our primary vet for Mila (the diagnostics will cost a fraction of what emergency quoted.)
I want to do everything I can for Mila but we are now in the hole nearly $2k at the point between the two emergency visits and the primary vet visit, so wanting to know what is necessary now Vs. what can be phased in.
I hate seeing her in pain and I’m just worried that she isn’t improving.
Do FEMALE cats need bladder flush? FEMALE cat only pees a tiny bit. Keeps running to litter box. Trying to use it elsewhere. Doesn’t want to drink anymore. Antibiotics don’t help
So we stumbled upon a 2 yr old puggle who was going to be surrender to the Humane Society. We were told that she is being treated for a UTI but was very healthy. The owners were keeping her in a cage for 12-15 hrs which would definitely cause the UTI. So we asked around and found a family member in NY that was willing to take her. Long story short, we took her to NY and got her a check up. She doesn’t only have a UTI but also a huge stone in her bladder which needs to be removed surgically. My mother in law cannot afford this surgery being on a fixed income. Being the owner of 5 of my own pets, I cannot afford it either. But we don’t want this sweet dog going back to the owner or shelter. Can you recommend somewhere that would consider doing pro-bono or discounted work for rescue pets? We plan on bringing her back to Maryland tonight.
My 8 year old Bichon/Lhasa Apso mix refuses to go outside when it’s wet or raining. As a result, she either poops and pees in the house, or holds it in. She’s prone to bladder stones (she’s had two operations to remove them), so I know that when she holds in her urine, it makes her prone to form bladder stones. I want to try to train her to use piddle pads when it’s raining, but I don’t know how to go about doing that.
Hi, I have a 6 year old dachshund (Moka) with ivdd. I believe she is either stage 2 or 3 in disease. We cannot really afford the surgery or the MRI so we’re trying the conservative treatment with crate rest. We are week 2 and this is the progresss we’ve seen. Moka can control her bladder better and dry minimally solid her bedding. She wags her tail when she is outside and we’re hold her up with a sling before urination. After her second session of acupuncture, we saw a real improvement in her energy and we even began to see a little movement again in her back legs. In the past few days however we haven’t seen any more movement in her back legs. We thought the improvement in her condition would continue to show each day but it is very very slow to appear. My question is how long before she starts to move more and to put weight on her back legs? What are the mile stones? Our vet says we could still opt for surgery because Moka never lost deep pain sensation. Is it too late at this point and won’t there be a lot of scar tissue? Like I said we can’t really afford it without putting ourselves in a dangerous financial situation but my husband and I are besides ourselves suffering because of Moka.
What is the prognosis for a dog in her condition? Should we have seen more improvement in 2 weeks than we have? Will she continue to heal? Is the healing in linear progression or will we see some improvement and occasionally lapses and then improvement again?
I truly appreciate all suggestions and advice. Moka does not seem to be pain and has normal appetite and thirst. Thank you!
Hello, I have a 2.5-year-old female chihuahua/puggle mix named Ruby. After seeing an increase in accidents around the house, my mother and I took Ruby to the vet about a week ago. Her X-rays showed about 4 large and small bladder stones. We were given special wet dog food to help break down the stones and scheduled an appointment two weeks from then to see if the food was helping. The other day the vet called again, saying the urine sample they took from the week before showed a bacterial infection. They recommended antibiotics, but then started to suggest surgery. During the first visit, one of the doctor’s said the surgery (Cystotomy) runs around $1,200. Today when we get the actual cost of the surgery and all the extra costs, the total was $2772 (Range of $2102 – $2837). We live in San Diego county in California. I’m aware prices vary depending on location, but I feel like I am being over charged. I’m wondering what the average price of bladder stone removal surgery is in SD county? Any info/advice would be helpful.
My 10 year old cat was diagnosed by ER Vet with Cystitis and by another Vet with an Acute UTI. He had blood in his urine. ER Vet said he had struvite crystals but the other Vet said he didn’t have any crystals. His blood work is good. He has never been sick a day in his life. He stopped eating and wouldn’t go near the litterbox for 4 days. He just spent 2 days in the hospital. We tried Mirtzapaine appetite stimulant and that hasn’t worked. Normally had a great appetite. Hospital said he ate a couple bites one day but none the next. He is home now and acting like he feels better but he still won’t eat. He is not showing the typical signs of Cystitis or UTI such as trying to pee, or peeing small amounts, or peeing all over the house or crying while peeing, in fact he just avoids the litter box completely. The vets say he is not blocked. I asked my vet to please check him for Kidney or Bladder stones but he said it wasn’t necessary. I don’t understand why he couldn’t do this if I am willing to pay for the test and if I asked for it. He is an indoor cat and something caused this Urinary Kidney issue and I want to get to the bottom of it as I am not convinced that it was just bacteria. Could this be the beginning stages of Kidney disease? Could he have stones? The vet wants me to have him on prescription Urinary food but he wont eat anything. If he doesn’t eat in the next 48 hours im instructed to bring him back to the vet to try something else. Please any suggestions or experience on this situation. Thanks
Older male beagle mix with blood in urine. Urinalysis is negative for infection, ultrasound was negative for stones. Only thing on u/s was a possible blood clot on bladder wall. Treating as if it’s infection, but blood still present.
Still squatting several times when outside and only some urine comes out the first few. She does sleep through the night though and can hold it like a champ. The vet also mentioned that her “area” looked a little swollen. They did a radiograph to rule out a bladder stone and said it came back clean but it can’t be 100%. What should we do? Thanks,