Question
Profile Image
Mel | 50 mins ago
Please Help!! Over Labor Day Weekend We Had To Hospitalize Our 1year Old Cat For A …

Please help!!

Over Labor Day weekend we had to hospitalize our 1year old cat for a bladder blockage. We didn’t have the funds for the procedure and we didn’t want our cat to die. He’s really my son’s cat who is 7 and would just be heartbroken.
He got his bladder flushed, came home 3 days later. We had to open a line of credit on carecredit that is now maxed out. Finished all his medications and seemed fine until today.
He isn’t peeing, seems lethargic. I tried manually expressing him but to no avail. Nothing but some drops of blood come out.
I’m crying as I’m writing this because we can’t afford another costly procedure and this is can obviously be fatal.

1 Response

Comments

  1. Krista Magnifico

    Hello,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your cat. I know how costly and devastating this can be for pet parents. I think it’s time to call everyone you can think of to see if anyone will either help you out financially or help you out to see if he is blocked again. I think he needs to be seen by a vet immediately as he can die if he is blocked. We all dread these cases. I have had so many over my career. When I get them the first time I always warn that they often have repeat episodes for months until we can get the diet changed and the urinary system happy. I won’t euthanize a blocked cat but I am the exception these days in vet med I fear. I recommend you see a vet immediately add call everyone you can asking for assistance. There isn’t anything else I can offer. I’m sorry.

Question
Profile Image
kathy welsh | 1 day ago
My Dog Seems To Be Constantly Panting. We Have Our A/C On 70 Degrees And Ceiling …

My dog seems to be constantly panting. We have our A/C on 70 degrees and ceiling fan on. Should I be concerned?

3 Responses

Comments

  1. Krista Magnifico

    Yes. I would be concerned. Please see a veterinarian as quickly as possible. This could be an emergency and therefore I would treat it as such. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Question
Profile Image
Pam Brooks | 2 days ago
My Cat Lucas Is Still Sick With Horner’s Syndrome. After Many Tests Have Not Been …

My cat Lucas is still sick with Horner’s syndrome. After many tests have not been able to determine a definitive cause. I would like to look into getting a myringotomy for him so I can know what the fluid in his middle ear is. It is causing him to have serious nasal issues every time he eats. Does anyone know if this procedure – myringotomy – is ever done by a regular vet, or does it require a specialist. And what have others paid. Any information would be helpful. See recent photo of Lucas – with his good eye. The other eye is affected by Horner’s syndrome.

2 Responses

Comments

  1. Krista Magnifico

    Hello,
    I don’t know enough about your cats case to offer any real advice. I have seen horners take months to resolve. And I’m not sure what triggered your cats condition. My best advice is to see a feline specialist or neurologist to discuss diagnostics and options. I don’t think you will find anyone outside of then to discuss this procedure. I would also strongly recommend that you ask yourself why you are worried about it and what potential side effects you might see if you pursue treatment plans without confirming the underlying cause. I leave Horner s alone unless a pet parent wants to do a CT scan. And I refer them if so. If your cat is happy and eating and ambulatory well I would leave well enough alone. As long as infection does not look like the underlying cause. I also rule out polyps. As these are treatable easily. In my opinion.
    Please let me know what happens. Good luck.

    1. Pam Brooks Post author

      Thank you. I read this article http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/skills-laboratory-how-perform-myringotomy?pageID=1 and because Lucas does have Otitis Media bilaterally – as diagnosed from a scan (not an MRI but a less expensive scan done by Sonopath) I wondered if treating it would help resolve the Horner Syndrome. I spoke with my cat’s regular vet earlier and he agrees with you – to see a neurologist before attempting to do anything with the middle ear issue.
      Lucas is on gabapentin for nerve pain in his face. It is keeping the pain away. But he hypersalivates and his respiratory system seems to go haywire when he eats. After he eats his nose and face are wet to the touch. He sneezes and flings thick mucous. Then he bathes his face with his front paws and they become wet so that he looks like he’s been doused with water on his head and front legs. That is why I am trying to find out what is causing the Horner syndrome – which seems to be triggering this hyper response to eating and creating nerve pain on one side of his face – the side where one eye has Horner syndrome.
      Pam

Question
Profile Image
Allie | 3 days ago
What Can I Give My Cat She Cant Pass A Hairball! Help!

What can I give my cat she cant pass a hairball! Help!

3 Responses

Comments

  1. scgreco413

    Good morning…
    Sorry for a late response. Hoping that your cat finally coughed up that hairball. If not- are you positive it was a hair ball? I only ask because the constant trying to clear her throat of it can be a symptom of other, more severe circumstances. If she is still showing signs of distress and coughing to clear “something” out of her airway, I would get into the vet as soon as you can.

    1. Allie Post author

      I talked to the vet and he gave us laxatone and she loves it. It has helped her through up two times but more mucus which makes sense because she is unber congested and sneezing. So that may be what is going on. We are keeping a close eye on her and there is some improvement but minimal.

  2. Krista Magnifico

    Hello,
    I’m worried that the hairball might not be a hairball. If you have a long haired cat I recommend daily brushing. Or even twice a year shave downs. If you have a short haired cat you can try OTC cat lax or watered down canned food. I have even heard of people adding petroleum jelly to help lubricate. But I have also seen cats vomiting from intestinal parasites (please only diagnose with your vet don’t use an OTC dewormer as they aren’t safe enough in my opinion. I also talk about increasing fluid intake either by iv fluids or sq fluids. But these need to be discussed with your vet. My concern here is that coughing for hairball relief can look exactly like coughing for heart disease, respiratory disease and a huge host of other problems. Please see your vet before assuming a diagnosis and instituting your own treatment plan. I hope this helps.

Question
Profile Image
Tracey Grumbach | 4 days ago
My 4 Year Old Cat Had A 3 Year Rabies Shot And A Distemper Shot At About 11:30AM …

My 4 year old cat had a 3 year rabies shot and a distemper shot at about 11:30AM this morning. It is now 9:25 PM and she is having tremors in her leg muscles. It is NOT a seizure but I’ve never seen muscle tremors like this before. She is also lethargic and not eating too, which I know is fairly normal…I’m just worried about her muscle tremors. Does she need to be seen immediately or is it ok to wait until morning to call the vet?

2 Responses

Comments

  1. Krista Magnifico

    Hello,
    It is very hard for me to answer this safely. The advice always has to be to err on the side of caution so that safety comes first. A veterinarian will listen to heart and lungs, take a temp, and assess neurological function and probably give an injectable steroid. We also check mucous membrane color. All of this is done to assess severity of the condition and be prepared to halt it from progressing. The tremors can be pain or anxiety due to pain or discomfort. But without all of the rest of the physical parameters to use as an assessment I can’t tell you whether or not to be worried. I’m sorry. I know that is not cut and dry. But it’s the honest truth. I think you are a Jvc client. If so please pm me on the Jvc fb page and I will call you for immediate help.
    Krista.

    1. Tracey Grumbach Post author

      Thank you so very much for your quick response and the phone call. Your help is very much appreciated!

Regular Vet Visit
Profile Image
Suzanne Cannon | 4 days ago
Spay Surgery (OHE) In A Shih Tzu/Bichon Mix: Alyse’s Story
Treatment Cost (USD): $424.89
Alyse is a 9 month old Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise mix who underwent spay surgery (ovariohysterectomy, or OHE) at Jarrettsville Veterinary Center.
0 Responses
Question
Profile Image
Madison | 5 days ago
My Dogs Nail Broke In Half What Should I Do

My dogs nail broke in half what should I do

4 Responses

Comments

  1. scgreco413

    Good morning-
    If you have nail clippers, and your dog will allow it, I would trim the nail up as best you can so that it doesn’t catch on anything and tear worse. Is the quick exposed? Is it bleeding or raw? If you think it has the chance of catching and tearing, you might try wrapping it until you can get it trimmed up. I would use caution and clean it well too. You may want to just give a phone call to the vet- they may just ask you to slip in so that someone can trim it up nice and close for you and double check that all is good.

    1. Madison Post author

      Thank you it isn’t bleeding at all but when we try to touch it he doesn’t allow us too. We will take him to the vet today to see what thy can do for him

    1. scgreco413

      Ouch- that is the quick… I think the vet is probably going to have to handle it.

Regular Vet Visit
Profile Image
Krista Magnifico | 6 days ago
Kirra’s Mass Removals And Dental Cleaning.
Treatment Cost (USD): $1028.52
Kirra had two masses growing under the skin over her spinal area. They larger one was about the size of a lemon and the smaller, just a few inches from the first closer to her tail, was about the size of a grape. The larger one was beginning to cause the skin to stretch to the point where rupture was eminent. When a mass ruptures the area is very unlikely to heal closed as this is abnormal tissue. A nonhealing wound or ruptured mass can result in chronic bleeding/exudate, infection or even maggots. Large masses that are about to cause skin rupture should be surgically excused before they get so large the skin opens or the mass removal is too large to close, or is causing the pet discomfort or ambulatory difficulty.
0 Responses
Regular Vet Visit
Profile Image
Krista Magnifico | 6 days ago
Dental Cleaning And Mass Removal In A Bloodhound.
Treatment Cost (USD): $1081.00
Dewey is a one year old Bloodhound who had a pendulous subcutaneous mass at his sternum. He was also unneutered. The mass needed to be removed as it hanging and the skin covering it was thinning and would eventually rupture. A pendulous mass will continue to stretch and eventually rupture which would then need to be surgically removed. In doing both surgeries at the same time it reduced both the cost and the anesthesia risk/exposure.
0 Responses
Regular Vet Visit
Profile Image
Krista Magnifico | 6 days ago
Routine Dental Cleaning For A Canine (dog).
Treatment Cost (USD): $325.00
Natasha is a middle aged Doberman with dental calculi and mild gum inflammation. After an examination and pre-op bloodwork (about $200 for this) she was scheduled for a routine dental cleaning and polish under general anesthesia.
0 Responses