My 4 1/2-year-old cat Minnie all of a sudden last Saturday was lethargic to the point she slept the entire day, then Sunday a lot of the same where she not interacting, not her normal playful, loving self. It started to look like her eyes where crossed, and she would curl up in a ball. I took her to the vet last Monday – she was there all day and they suspect head cavity polyps, meningitis, or CNS however when the Dr. put her under, she was not able to find anything. Not sure if she checked behind the soft pallet, but will ask in the am. I was referred to a neurologist at that time; they have her a 14 day antibiotic and a steroid injection. She seemed to be doing good, and somewhat back to herself, so I canceled the request for an appt as they did not even have any openings, but the next day Tuesday she was feeling horrible again, sneezing, head tilting, off-balance walk, walking in a circle favoring her left side. Her eyes are watery and run almost like she is crying, and she has this reverse snort/cough. She does still have a good appetite, is eating, peeing and pooping, but is extremely lethargic and I can tell she is still miserable and at time seems like she will not make it. Took her back on Friday, did another exam and they say she still needs some type of imaging to see what is wrong. I am thinking can’t they look to see if there are polyps endoscopically and then just remove them at the same time? Or does she have to go through a complete neurological exam although it may not be necessary? I can’t afford 2-3 k for all the diagnostics then surgery but will do my best to pay if it is necessary. I am terribly worried for her as she is just doing horrible and I hate to see her in so much pain and want to get this resolved for her as quickly as possible.
Hello! I rescued a stray domestic shorthair that came crying at my door about 6 months ago and named him Koda. He is the sweetest boy of about 5 years (not too sure about his age though) and I am so grateful of the love he has shown me. Since I’ve had him, there has been nasal discharge on one side of his nose. He began sneezing after a while and I noticed large chunks of hardened mucus would come out. I took him to the vet and he was put on antibiotics and they cleared out most of the build up. The vet also did an x ray and it showed that one side of his sinuses were completely backed up with mucus, so he did a blind bioscopy to look for polyps and could not find anything. The antibiotics seemed to work at the time, but now looking back I’m assuming it was because the they had cleared out most of the mucus, because the symptoms came back after about a week after stopping antibiotics. We are now looking at constant snoring sounds, occasionally gasping for air, sneezing and decreased appetite due to not being able to smell his food. The vet recommended us to someone that had the proper technology, which would be a scope and a ct scan to go in and look for any polyps, and remove them if found. This would cost me $1500-$3000 which I cannot afford since I am a college student 🙂 I went anyways to get their opinion and stupidly spent about $1000 on more testing, appetite stimulants, and more antibiotics that didn’t work. I am considering trying steroids to try and lessen the symptoms just so that he can have an easier time breathing if they worked, but I am afraid of the cost and especially the side effects, if it it doesn’t help that will be more wasted money. Recently, the nasal discharge has spread to the other nostril and he has more bloody mucus than ever before, and as of three days ago, a mucus-like mass has protruded from one nostril and has slowly turned black and bloody over these few days. I tried to remove it but it was very stuck and started bleeding, and I could tell the poor baby was in pain. It may be a polyp that has slowly moved out of his nose, so I will be calling a vet tomorrow to hopefully get it taken out.
I am looking for another opinion on what might be going on or of any similar stories. If anyone knows any good vets in the Tampa, Florida area I would be forever grateful. I am willing to take Koda anywhere in Florida if it means I can find help for less money or just more straightforward people who care about animals and not just the money! Koda is still a happy and loving cat but he has slowly become less playful, and I can tell he does not feel his best becsause of all of this. I am afraid of how much worse it can get. Thank you so much for any help in advance!
My 6-year-old cat has recently had some trouble breathing. She gets a deep sounding snore when breathing in and can’t seem to take a complete breath. The snoring only seems to occur when she is breathing in, and not out. The snoring does sometimes stop. This mainly happens when she is sleeping, her breaths are softer and she seems to be able to breath better. I have also noticed that when I hold her mouth open a little bit, she is able to breathe in and out without any problem. She occasionally has sneezing fits, but they are very rare to see. There is no discharge from her nose, eyes, or ears. She actually has a very dry nose. I have also noticed that she has been eating less than before, but she is still able to eat and drink water. We took her to a vet, but they told us they would only be able to diagnose her with an endoscopy, which they said would cost us around $1,300. I’ve looked online for symptoms similar to hers and cats that had similar breathing patterns/sounds. The closest thing I have been able to find is something called a “nasopharyngeal polyp”. I’m a little lost on what to do. Should I continue with the first vet, and get a concrete diagnosis? or get a second opinion and maybe bring up what I found while researching online? The cost of the first vet is kind of high for me as I’m a college student, but If it is what my cat needs to be able to breathe comfortably again I’ll pay it.
Have a 16 year old cat that has been very sick with so much mucus coming out of his nose. Been sick for for a while now. Gave him 10 days of amoxicilin from vet. He’s having a really hard time breathing from all the mucus so we have Ben doing everything possible to keep him alive cause he is a fighter. He stops breathing a lot cause h’s so clogged it’s heart breaking. We give him warm steam and humidifier along with taking him outside to get more oxegen. He stays up most of the time cause when he puts his head down it blocks his airways. I have been pulling the discharge out with a small eyedropper when the bogies show. Really hoping he can beat the illness and get better soon but vets are taking all our money with doing much. We are on limited income. I think he needs a nasal flush maybe but can’t do it myself cause of lack of knowledge and medical equipment. Please contact me at 619 453 1747 if you have any ideas. Some days he looks like he won’t make it but then other days his eyes look so clear and beautiful. We have been giving him syringes of water and blended food to help him k==p the weight on cause he stopped eating a few days ago from lack of smell. He never did drink much water but maybe cause there was some underling issue. I have a Web cam and could show you or talk to someone if they care to reach out. He is a huge part of the family for many years and I know he wants to live longer but unless he gets better soon we will be at a great losss. He has a vet appointment today but I don’t think they will offer many answers besides sending him to more specialist we can’t afford. He has been sneezing fluid for about a month. He is the sweets cat ever and would do anything to keep him around.
I guess it will be long.
My cat is an adopted cat from shelter. He was 1.5 yrs old when I adopted him and 9 months old when he got into the shelter. He is 7.5 yrs old now.
He suffered from catflu. He lost his left eye because of it. He had polyp in his left nasal cavity having spread to his left earcanal also, so he had to undergo a surgery at the age of 1.5.
Every season changes– fall, spring — makes him sneeze so I always administer him Vetri-DMG and Flumax to strenght his immune system.
This fall he was sneezing a lot sounded some discharge up, but didn’t see anything then he started snoring didn’t matter if he was sleeping or awaken. He vomited brownish, greenish, and yellowish fluid. Later on he tried to vomit, but nothing came up. On the top of these he seemed to be gasping for breath or being out of breath.
Since having administered Vetri-DMG and Flumax for 3 or 4 weeks I took him to a vet. He administered him eyedrops (3×2 for 7-10 days) Tobradex — corticosteroid and antibiotics — as he found nothing, but his teary eye and conjunctivitis, which is of course tearing all the time as he has epiphora thanks to catflu. He also administered Moxiclear spot on when the next deworming time comes (he is given dewormer each month, Fenbendazole and Praziquantel — guess you know it as Panacur) to make sure that he has no heartworm or lungworm…
Eardrops have been used for 8 days and he has started snoring again. He snores sometimes even he is awaken when breathing in or out.
His RIGHT side nostril seems to be swollen inside, so as far as I can see ti and narrower on this side. And that’s what makes me be so worried. I am afraid of… nasal cancer. He is a ginger cat and has lentigo on his nose, in on his lips, on his pows… How can I find out what the problem is? Unfortunately, in my country vets doesn’t know anything except giving injections… If an illness is not well-seen yet they do nothing.
Help us please!
Thank you so much in advance!
I have a half Pit/Dashhound and she sneezes a lot and shakes her ears. Then kinda like she can’t get her breath but she has been tested for heart worms and gets a heart worm pill every month I just don’t know what to do for her? Some one told me to give her Dimeitapp everyday and see if it helped but I don’t know how much or how often? Shadow weighs about 27 to 30 lbs. please help I don’t have much money but I need to know do I need to take her to the vet? She is up to date with all her shoots also.
Thank you so much for your input!!
Be very careful pseudmonas outbreaks in cats are running rampant in the United States in the last several years so if your cat shows any signs of nasal discharge and whising and sneezing get him or her checked for a polyp! If no polyps then get them checked for pseudmonas! Pseudmonas is very Dangerous!! It can cause nerve damage! Nurolagical problems heat problems peralisis and even Death!!
I have a 2 yr 8 mo old cat Milo who I am desperate to find relief for. He has been sick since I adopted him at 4 months. I was told right away by the shelter vet that he had feline herpes, and that he would always be sick, but that we could treat the symptoms. Over the next 2 years, we have found ourselves at every vet in the area, seeking out treatment options for Milo, and have also had emergency visits on 5 different occasions when Milo got to the point that he could barely breathe. Milo means more to me than anything in the world, and I have promised him that I will never stop searching and fighting for an answer to help him feel better.
Milo is getting worse as he gets older. At this point, his breathing is audible 24/7 (snoring/snorting noises with every breath) regardless of what antibiotic he’s on. He sneezes dramatically (sometimes 10 times in a row) to the point that there is snot on many of the walls/windows. He makes choking noises/coughing as if there is congestion stuck in his throat that he is trying to get out. There are times at night when I am woken by his breathing because it gets so loud. He occasionally is struggling so much with congestion that he will find a quiet place to sit and close his eyes while he mouth-breathes.
At some vet visits, he ironically ends up breathing/feeling a bit better when we get there and they’ll tell me “this is a healthy cat!” and I go home only for his symptoms to return.
However, at other visits over the years Milo has been diagnosed with allergies, asthma, conjunctivitis, viral URI infection, bacterial infections, etc. We’ve tried Benadryl, terramycin, doxycycline, L-Lysine, Famciclovir, prednisolone, azithromycin, little remedies nasal saline and nebulizing sterile saline. The next step is nebulization of Gentamycin (which I called every pharmacy in the area trying to find and ended up having to order from a specialty pharmacy.) It won’t be in until the middle of next week, and it breaks my heart to watch Milo struggle as we wait for yet another antibiotic that might not work.
Recently we found a vet who suggested they thought Milo has nasal polyps, but said that I would need to see a specialist to find out for sure. At this recommendation, I immediately made Milo an appointment 45 minutes away (and over a month wait). When we finally got in, the specialist told me that it was very unlikely that Milo had nasal polyps, as they are not common in younger cats. They offered to do some preliminary testing to rule out other illnesses first. They did bloodwork and xrays (which cost $900) and found that Milo was positive for Bordatella and Mycoplasma infections. The herpes test came back negative, but they told me that it often comes back with a false negative when the infection is chronic. They put him on an azithromycin paste which didn’t help whatsoever, and then suggested the gentamycin nebulization. They said that if Milo isn’t showing improvement after a week of the nebulized antibiotic, that we could consider a rhinoscopy and a CT scan to check for other underlying problems (such as polyps) which would run around $2600 total.
I should note that all of this is cost-prohibitive for me, but as I’m sure you can tell, I would spend every dime I had if it made Milo better. Any suggestions or recommendations that you have for us are GREATLY appreciated as I feel like we are nearing a dead end. We are 4 hours from your office but id be more than willing to come out there for your help.
Thank you in advance,
Courtney & Milo
My 8 year old dachshund, Ginny, was diagnosed with IVDD and had surgery last January. She went to physical therapy for 5 months. It took her 6 months to walk and she is still very wobbly. Her bladder function never returned to normal and she has to tap her bottom on the ground to urinate and often has to be expressed. Throughout the past 9 months she has suffered with constant recurrent UTIs. As soon as we are done with antibiotics she needs them again within a few days as she cannot empty her bladder completely. She has been prescribed bethanecol which makes her nauseous and prazosin which makes her extremely lethargic. She has also had recurrent yeast infections on her tummy, ear infections, and awful reverse sneezing episodes. Lately she seems to be in pain…shaking, panting, licking, big eyes. She’s on amoxicillin for yet another UTI which upsets her stomach. She’s walking worse and dragging her feet until her toenails bleed. We were recently in the ER with a reverse sneezing episode that was wet and crackly and left her unable to breath. We have spent about $8,000 on the surgery,
therapy, cultures, treatments and drugs that lately seem to just make her sick. She can wag her tail but doesn’t, not for long time. My fear is that I’m prolonging suffering in a dog that will continually be sick, in pain and unhappy. We have been so hopeful and have rejoiced with each small step forward. She’s just had so many steps backwards. How do I know when it’s enough?
I have a 10 year old Maltese with extreme allergies. We mostly notice his allergies with excessive paw chewing but this year he’s doing something weird and having frequent episodes of reverse sneezing. He’s not in breathing distress while he’s doing this but it’s scary to hear and see. We just had him at the groomer and I’m worried his symptoms could be something else. He’s never on a leash and doesn’t wear a collar so I’m wondering if the collar at the groomer could have caused his trachea to be injured. Our vet is closed today and all the Banfields in our area are booked. I included a video. Don’t mind the shaking. He’s been chilly ever since he got his hair cut. I should mention that other than these episodes he’s been perfectly fine and normal behaving and that Benadryl tends to stop them from happening at all