We brought Mila, my 7 year old mixed domestic savannah chausie female spayed kitty, early this morning for emergency attention because she was moaning and groaning in pain last night and could hardly move. Prior to this morning she had been seen two weeks ago at the same emergency clinic and her primary vet. Both determined she had crystals and a UTI and prescribed medication which we’ve been giving as instructed along with keeping her on the strict urinary care diet from hills c/d.
She tried yesterday and this morning to use the litter box but was unsuccessful in relieving herself so we had to treat it as if she was experiencing a blockage which you know is very dangerous.
The Dr. was able to express Mila’s full bladder and found no blockage there, but said Mila was in a lot of pain while undergoing the procedure. She did not feel any stool so Mila is not considered to be constipated, but a good sized stone or crystal was visible during the ultrasound.
The Dr. strongly believes Mila still has a UTI and wants to get that under control first, so we were given the following medications:
Prazosin (for urethral spasms)
We were also instructed to increase the dosage of the Gabapentin from 0.3ml every 12 hours to 0.5ml every 8 hours since it didn’t seem to be doing enough in terms of managing Mila’s pain. She was previously on buprenorphine for pain but we were concerned that it was constipating her.
We need to bring Mila in as soon as possible to perform another urinalysis and culture as was recommended by the Emergency clinic. This was recommended to determine whether or not the bacteria from the UTI has spread to Mila’s kidneys.
We chose to decline those diagnostics at the emergency Clinic today as they were going to charge an additional $800 for an already expensive treatment and we felt more comfortable going through our primary vet for Mila (the diagnostics will cost a fraction of what emergency quoted.)
I want to do everything I can for Mila but we are now in the hole nearly $2k at the point between the two emergency visits and the primary vet visit, so wanting to know what is necessary now Vs. what can be phased in.
I hate seeing her in pain and I’m just worried that she isn’t improving.
My cat is on Purina Urinary Tract dry food because he was blocked before but he has a LOT of diarrhea lately. What could I give him that will help his block problem as well as his stomach/digestive issue? Thanks in advance!
My 9 year old Rescue Frenchie started having pain on her lumbar region Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I rushed her to her vet. They gave her a Pred shot and a Pain shot and sent her home. Within 5 hours, she couldnt stand. Rushed her to the ER Vet who got her with the Neurologist in town first thing Monday morning. Did MRI and Surgery for a ruptured disc and Neuro said she also had a blood clot on her spinal cord but he left that to resolve on itself. He did say it would take her longer to walk because of that. She DOES feel her toes and have deep muscle sensation but can not hold herself up with her back legs, and she is on medication to loosen up her bladder to help her urinate (I am expressing for her). She is doing 3 weeks of in-house PT and home on weekends for motivation and love (I do go see her every day when she is in the hospital and will continue when shes in PT). My question is how long does it usually take for them to regain use of their back legs? The Neuro did say hers was a disc that controls those nerves, and along with the clot will take a little longer.
Im concerned she may not ever walk again and wonder if I did the right thing by her. She is depressed that she cant walk, but Im hoping that goes away when she, hopefully, regains use of her back legs. She’s been thru so much in her life, we just wanted her Golden years to be perfect for her. )=
She is always sleeping and won’t eat anything. The pain is too much for her. She won’t let us hold her. She would sleep in a corner. The vet examined and said she’s not pregnant.
He gave the meds ampoxim 500 and taxim 500 twice in two days.
The swelling has now been reduced but she is still feeling ill. Not healthy at all. I know separating all kids at once was a bad decision but my parents haste fully did that.
Can it be due to rabies?? Maybe she might have bit other cat having rabies?? Her stool is okay but today morning her urine was like very dark coffee brown coloured.
The doctor has called her tomorrow too. He says she will feel better after the mammary gland infections will be gone.. But after two days shes not feeling all that well.. She does sleep peacefully though.
The pain can be felt by looking at her eyes.
Thank you for your help.
I have a male 10 week old male kitten, he only weights 700ish grams and I’m scared that he’s not putting on weight. He eats fine and doesn’t seem to be in any pain. He hasn’t been sick, I’ve check his poo and urine but nothing is wrong. Any advice or tips?
Started as not putting any weight on hind leg two days ago to not being able to move or get up or down at all except to urinate but that’s not alot. No appetite and when I tried to pick her up to help her off the coach she cried out in pain
I have a 4 year old female Hound that squats and urinates more than a male dog and occasinly there is some blood .She hunts well and does’nt seem to be in pain
Hello, my 8 week old ferret natsu has problem urinating, he cries out on pain when he tries and when he does there is blood in his urin, his behaviour has not changed and he is eating and drinking and sleeping still he just can’t urinate.