Hi there. My dog Ruby had sudden onset Mast Cell Tumors present about 3 weeks ago. She’s an energetic 4 year old pit/great dane mix (I know because I spent a billion dollars on a DNA kit). I noticed about 7 subcutaneous lumps on her left side while she was outside playing. They felt like little oblong marbles under her skin. Our vet is an hour away. We had moved a few months back and kept our vet because we love him so much. We still see him for routine care. There is a vet very close to our home and I have read good reviews and have had email conversation previously when I was deciding whether or not to switch vets. I was concerned Ruby would have cancer, I just felt it, and didn’t want her to have to make several long trips to our vet if she were to require surgery, etc. So I decided to take her to the new close to home vet. As it is Covid-19 season, I did not get to go inside the vet’s office with her. They aspirated one of the lumps and were concerned. She was scheduled for surgery in the following week. I talked to my other vet about this, and he was not pleased to hear they aspirated her, because he was worried that the histamines from the tumor would cause it to spread. I was alarmed and researched Dr. Google for 2 days. It seemed to me after my research that the aspiration was standard course of care. Ruby had her surgery and had 2 large masses removed. They could not take all of them because there would have been too many incision sites. Directions for care included keeping her inactive for 10-14 days, not an easy dear with an anxious 65 lb lap dog. On day 7 of recovery, I noticed a fluid buildup around the incision site. Back to Dr. Google, I decided she had a seroma. I called the vet the next morning and we took her over and my suspicion was confirmed. They told us to call if it got worse. We still haven’t received the pathology back on the two masses that were removed. This morning I decided I needed to do more research, as two new masses have cropped up (the tumors, not seroma). Ruby is in good spirits and just wants to play and run with our other dogs. She’s mad at me, I’m sure of it, for making her lay around all day. Is it normal to have a seroma after surgery? Why do these tumors pop up all of a sudden?
My tenacious, wonderful, beloved 12-year-old cat is a cancer survivor. She has an uncommon form of cutaneous mast cell cancer that causes her to have thousands of small tumors all over her skin. 2 1/2 years ago she had a splenectomy and takes antihistamines daily to control what is now low-grade cancer. Last year she started having upper respiratory issues, including severe congestion and nasal discharge. To make a very long story short, after an exploratory, CT scan, rhinoscopy, multiple biopsies and cultures she’s finally been diagnosed with possible rhinitis which includes an E Coli infection, severe sinus inflammation, and a nasal polyp. When last visualized (about a month ago) the polyp is in her nasal passage, just above her throat. She’s on her 2nd, 2-week course of the antibiotic Meropenem, which I inject subQ 3x a day, which makes me a bit nervous considering the tumors – I’m concerned it could cause a histamine reaction and trigger the cancer further. We’ve been seeing a specialist in the Los Angeles area, and the bills have become astronomical. The polyp needs to be removed, we’ve been told it will cost $1500 – 3,000, depending on whether it can be pulled out, or if it’s too far up, I’ve been told the surgeon may have to go thru her soft or hard palate, (which, to put it mildly has me a little freaked out). We have to be careful dealing with her based on her cancer (which so far is under control and we treat as a chronic condition). The good news is that she handles anesthesia rather well. (She’s one heck of a tough cat). My questions are: is it normal to have to go thru the palate to remove a polyp? Are there any surgeons in the LA area that are versed in both the easier traction surgery, as well as the more complicated version, that won’t cost an arm and a leg (I’m willing to go further out)? How common, or dangerous, is going thru the soft or hard palate?
Thank you, from both of us!
I recently found a bump on my 2 year old Yorkie’s lower back. He has environmental allergies which lead to skin problems where he often gets infections and scabs. The bump appeared 2-3 weeks ago and I figured it was just a scab, since he often gets them in the summer. I am worried about what it could be. I have done some research on histiocytoma and am hoping that is what it is. I am worried about the possibility of it being something cancerous or a mast cell tumor. The bump does not appear to be hurting him or itching him. He does not have any changes to personality and is eating/drinking/using the bathroom normally. I have a vet appointment scheduled, but of course am worried until I have the appointment. Anyone have any experience with this?
Hello, how can you tell if your dog is just slowing down b/c of his age or if it’s something else? Our dog is a 100# yellow lab (Hunter). He’s about 10 years old which I know is senior for a dog of his weight and age. He’s been really slowing down playing ball and walking lately. He doesn’t want to do it as often or as long, sometimes never. We lost his sister dog to a spine tumor earlier this year but best i can tell he seems to be okay emotionally with her loss. How do i know that this is “normal” for him? He eats and goes to the bathroom normal, he’s sleeping normal. He’s on normal preventative and gets his yearly checkup. We try and play with him (catch) instead when he’s laying down inside the house. He seems to like to do that from time to time as an alternative – where he just lays down and catches the ball that we throw to his mouth. Is there any way to tell if he’s got arthritis and we should be giving him some type of anti-inflammatory or something else could be going on? Maybe I’m being too cautious (he had a mast cell removed a few years ago) and it’s probably just senior age / summer time heat but how do I know? I know he has thickening of his elbow joints.
Thank you for ideas,
8 year old Shih-tzu Maltese diagnosed with a bulging disc 🙁
Hi, thank you for making all of the videos on youtube. I have found them very helpful with my little guy Benson…it’s nice to see a vet that goes the extra mile for their patients. Our vet clinic is also caring and affordable as well, which is hard to find these days.
Benson is a miracle dog. He has already survived a grade 2 mast cell inguinal tumor so Cornell and our local vet love him and call him their miracle dog (this was 2.5 years ago)
Now for his most recent issue which is why I’m writing; For a week, he was dragging his front left paw. We took him to our vet (on Monday, March 19th) and she diagnosed him with arthritis….things got worse throughout the week to the point where he would knuckle his front left paw. Our vet had only told us to limit his activity and no jumping so we didn’t restrict him to a crate. By Sunday morning (March 25th) (and he was on 5mg of prednisone since Monday) his back left paw was now knuckling and he was getting worse to the point where he could barely stand up.
We took him back to the vet and they did x-rays and found a bulging disc right around his shoulder blades. He has been on 10mg of prednisone, Methocarbamol, gabapentin and in a crate 24/7 ever since Sunday the 25th. Luckily, he is really only affected on his left side of his body.
We are seeing a little bit of improvement at times and at other times, he is still just as bad as he was on Sunday.
He has never lost the ability to pee or defecate (thankfully) annnnd Benny loves to eat (or drink) so that will never be an issue haha…
However what worries me is the fact that he is ALWAYS as stiff as a board in the morning when we get up or when he gets stressed/excited. It’s as if he re-injures himself because he can’t walk and can barely stand. It takes him at least an hour to recover, stop panting and then relax again until it seems like he is not in pain anymore….
Is there anything we can do to prevent the “morning/excited episodes” or is it all just part of the process? I thought the muscle relaxer would help but it isn’t. I have even gone so far as to put signs on our front door asking visitors to not knock or ring the doorbell.
Last question-do you have an opinion about a dog chiropractor?
Any advice you could give, we would appreciate! We love our little guy-he has such a personality and adds so much fun to our lives.
Thanks so much,
Megan and Missy
Hi. I noticed an angry red lump on my 3-year-old Beagle’s foot, near her claw today. Pretty sure I didn’t see it yesterday. It doesn’t seem to hurt her at all. It’s not soft, but also not rock hard either. It’s not bleeding. She’s not licking it, so I don’t think it itches. She doesn’t have fleas or ticks. Her diet was recently changed from kibble to raw; not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I’ll mention it just in case. She seems to ber her normal self, NO vomitting / diarrhea / weakness. Brought her to the vet, and she was given 3 shots: dexamethasone, viccillin, and amoxicillin, and we were told to watch for the bump for the next few days. I’ve been surfing the web, and I think the bump could be histiocytoma orrrrr (God forbid) a mast cell tumor / mastocytoma. We live in Indonesia, and in the city we’re in, vets don’t really have labs where they perform tests and such. I’m losing my mind thinking about what my dog could possibly have. Please help if you’ve experienced a similar case. Pic attached.
I found a lump in my pups shoulder today. She is about 15 months and Ian a golden retriever/springer spaniel mix. The lump seems to be be glistening, like there might be puss. I’ve done some research and seems the most probable options are a histiocytoma, mast cell tumor, or cyst. Could anyone give their two cents?
I just spent a lot on an Ortho for when she injured her leg playing and money’s a little tight. If I need to, I’ll take her in, but if there doesn’t seem to be an urgency, I’ll wait till next month
I have a 3 year old lab. She had a mast cell tumor removed 9 days ago. After five days she developed a seroma. On Tuesday I had it drained. Today is Thursday two days later and it’s come back even bigger and it’s harder with fluid leaking. I called the vet earlier they told me to ice it, that is not helping. What should I do. the top picture was tonight. Middle picture was 1:30 p.m. today. Bottom picture was January 30th before they drained it. Thank you for any help
My 6 year old boxer developed a red and black bump on her ear over the course of a week and it has grown to twice its size over the last month. It is now sticking out from the surface of her ear skin more than a quarter of an inch. It just recently started oozing blood.We took her to the vet and they told us it was impossible to know if it was the benign histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor without taking it out, but they wanted 900 dollars for the procedure! And this is the vet in the area that is known for having less expensive procedures than the others in the area. I would love to just have it removed but the price seems exorbitant for what looks like a fairly simple procedure.Can you help me identify it more closely? I’ve attached a few pictures to help.
My dog has mast cell tumors. Suzanne from vet billing said you can help. She’s already had a double operation 3 months ago. Running out of money.