Question
Profile Image
megan | 2 weeks ago
Hello! My Cat Has Been Going To The Vet Constantly, For Coughing, Gaging, Gulping, And Loud …

hello! My cat has been going to the vet constantly, for coughing, gaging, gulping, and loud breathing? noises. The vet examined him under anesthesia and said his throat was just red and irritated and sent him home with some antibiotics and prednisolone. He took it for a while but there were no changes. He mostly does the whole coughing gaging thing when he is exited. His vet can’t seem to figure out what is wrong with him, so i’ve been researching different sicknesses and seeing which ones matched his symptoms. I came across collapsed trachea. This is the only one i’ve seen that matched his symptoms and says it gets worse with excitement. What can be done to diagnose him with a collapsed trachea? I’ve seen that a fluoroscopy would be a good option but the animal hospitals around me don’t have the machinery to do that. There is a high tech specialist vet office about 2 hours from me, but it’s by referral only. Would i still be able to get a proper and correct diagnosis by getting a normal x-ray? is there any other options that could tell he has a collapsed trachea? he’s had chest x-rays before and nothing seemed abnormal, so that rules out some other sicknesses.

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
9 days ago

Sorry that there has not been a response yet. Have you spoken to your vet about your thoughts?

Question
Profile Image
Kerri | 1 month ago
We Are Having Some Issues With Our Shepherd That Two Vets, An ER Vet And Dermatologist …

We are having some issues with our Shepherd that two vets, an ER vet and dermatologist couldn’t figure out. My dog went to a dog park and a week later his leg started to not be as strong. The next morning after that his back leg was so swollen!

We’ve have ultrasounds, blood work and X-rays done and nothing. Now it is making his other back leg swollen as well. Please tell me you have experienced this or do you have any recommendations?

We are still awaiting results from the skin biopsy but I was hoping this has happened to someone else.

I feel at such a loss the professions don’t have a clue and I just want to help my baby get better!! 🙏🏼. Thank you!

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
1 month ago

Hello,
I’m sorry to hear about your pup. When I get cases like these I refer to a university vet school. They are the best resource for finding answers when everyone else stumbles. I hope this helps. Good luck

Laura
30 days ago

Going to second Dr. Magnifico’s recommendation. Looks like you’re in Washington? Ask your vet to consult with WSU’s vet team, and possibly refer you over there.

Question
Profile Image
Tracey | 1 month ago
Hi There My 5 Year Old Cat Max Has Been Diagnosed With A Broken Back. His Back …

Hi there
My 5 year old cat Max has been diagnosed with a broken back. His back is broken in the middle of the spine.
The vet said she can’t believe he is walking and she does not know how to treat him so she has sent his x-rays to a specialist for opinion.
Max is home with me an he is still walking and just a little wobbly.
He’s always had a bit of a wobble when he walks so I don’t think this issue is new.
Just hoping someone can help me with what I can be doing for him now?
Also if surgery is an option, is it necessary? Is it the only option?
Really no idea what to do.
Thanks in advance.
X

4 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
4 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
1 month ago

Wow! What a shock this must have been. I am no vet, but I vaguely remember reading something about allowing animals to heal with rest and limited movement. But I don’t think that was with the spine- I believe it was a kitten with a broken leg actually. Have you discussed what you should be doing with your vet? I know that you said they have advised you to a specialist, but was there any instruction that you were sent home with? I think if it were me, having seen my cat walking around etc… finding out that it had… Read more »

Krista Magnifico
1 month ago

Hello, I have seen multiple cats with broken backs. It is important to do a through assessment of then and understand their ability to urinate and defecate and restrict activity so they cannot further injure themselves. I recommend cage rest unless supervised. They also need to be spayed if they aren’t already. My biggest concerns are bladder and colon issues. Whether that be incontinence or retention. Also they can get pressure sores if not walking directly on their foot pads. Surgery is an option if the surgeon seems it to be helpful but most clients cannot afford it, or the… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Candice | 2 months ago
Cat Polyp Removal (looking For Any Affordable Vets Near AZ Or Willing To Travel)

Hey guys,
I have a cat named Butters and he needs a polyp removal. I currently live in Arizona and I’ve called around and been quoted for $3000-7000. I’ve seen some comments on here of people finding clinics that does it for an affordable price. I’m willing to travel as well. Please help me find a clinic cause I really don’t like seeing my little guy not being able to breathe correctly 😰

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
1 month ago

Hello,
I am not sure what you have done so far to help understand what is going on with your cat? Can you provide more detail? Who has seen your cat so far and what have they done?
If you are suspicious of a polyp have your reached out to all of the local rescues and shelters to see if anyone locally can help?
Have you reached out on social media? I’m sure there are local vets who can help. We just have to find them! Let me know. I’ll help too

Question
Profile Image
Jennifer | 2 months ago
Our 7 Year Old Rhodesian Ridgeback / German Shepherd Mix, Duke, Had Surgery A Couple Weeks Ago. He …

Our 7 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback / German Shepherd mix, Duke, had surgery a couple weeks ago. He came home with a small fluid pocket where his tumor was removed. It ended up becoming bigger, and retaining a lot of fluid. As of now it is getting smaller, at least a little bit, but I noticed it’s feeling a little more solid on one end. I’m not sure if that is normal. He seems to be doing fine in all ways otherwise, no discomfort or any other noticeable changes to his behavior. I’m not sure if I’m starting to worry over something that may be normal, but the portion that feels more solid is still engorged and it doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t know if it will start to feel more solid, if that’s normal… I don’t know.

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
1 month ago

Hello,
Did you discuss this with the person who did the surgery? That’s the best place to start. I wouldn’t assume anything. It’s best to have it rechecked.

Question
Profile Image
Gisele | 2 months ago
I Have A 8 Year Old American Shorthair. Her Name Is Puma. We Recently Experienced A Very …

I have a 8 year old American Shorthair. Her name is Puma. We recently experienced a very traumatizing and costly visit to the emergency room. They recommended euthanizing her since we couldn’t afford their costly treatment plan. They explained that she had severe narrowing of her trachea due to a growth. Possible nasal polyps. Her more overt symptoms include an obvious blockage, snoring/snorting sounds while breathing, and head shaking. I recently watched Dr. Magnifico’s video on Stripes and his Nasopharyngeal Polyp removal and was surprised to see that sedation and a visual exam/removal could be done within such a short time with great results. Giving my husband and I restored hope. We love our little girl so much and don’t know what we do without her. Are there any vets within this network that anyone would recommend that would charge a more reasonable pricing for a similar procedure in California?

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
2 months ago

Hi😊🐾 I would start with a discussion with your regular vet to see if they could point you in the direction of someone who is capable. They should have a better idea of people in the area. You also might want to call local rescues, humane society, etc. as they may know of someone to put you in touch with, since they are usually networked with a larger group of veterinarians. Perhaps even searching on the internet may help get you to someone who could help. I hope to that you are able to find someone and that they can… Read more »

Question
Profile Image
Nicholas | 2 months ago
Hi! I Have A 10 Year Old Tabby Named Chunk — He Is Overweight Hence His Name. Roughly …

Hi!

I have a 10 year old tabby named chunk — he is overweight hence his name. Roughly a month or two ago we noticed that he started to limp. While he isn’t holding the paw or crying while walking, it is a noticeable limp. He is still jumping up on the bed and off, walking up and down all the stairs in the house, eating, drinking, and grooming himself. We can’t touch the paw, rub on the paw, and Chunk does not react in anyway as if it hurts him. My question is, his one paw is somewhat swollen at the knuckle. Could this be arthritis? I don’t want to take him to the vet because he does not handle that well and I’m worried about giving him a heart attack or other health issue by taking him to the vet for something that might be nothing. You can see in the picture the differences in his paws. Thank you in advance!

2 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sarah
2 months ago

I think that since there is swelling and a noticeable limp, a vet trip is needed. It could be a small fracture, a tear, infection, a symptom of something far worse…..

Question
Profile Image
Elliott | 3 months ago
Hello Doctors My 11 Year Old Chihuahua His Name Is Cannavaro Was Diagnosed With A Disc IVDD …

Hello doctors my 11 year old chihuahua his name is Cannavaro was diagnosed with a disc IVDD disease I was giving him Carprofen for pain for a couple of months then switched to CBD oil due to avoid damaging his organs but he’s been in pain more often is sad and hard to see him with pain due to an slipped disc can’t afford an expensive surgery and don’t know if he could recover without a surgery please help help help! Thank you

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
2 months ago

Hello,
I’m sorry to hear about your dog. I have a lot of information on my blog and YouTube channel. My best recommendation is to stay in very close contact with your vet. In cases like these I usually recommend a steroid over an nsaid. And I also offer multiple other pain medications like a muscle relaxer and gabapentin. The first few weeks require almost full time care. And a lot of help from your vet. The pain (in my opinion) in almost all cases can be managed. But it is a rough few days at first.

Question
Profile Image
Norma Elena | 4 months ago
Please I Need Help My Sister Found A Cat And It Has A Broken Paw We …

Please I need help my Sister found a cat and it has a broken paw we don’t have the 2,000 dollars she got quoted at vet… what can we do??? Please help we want to help this cat the worse thing is this kitty is semi feral she’s friendly but is in pain we only have meds for 2 more days and if we can’t afford they suggest amputation 🙁🙁🙁 PLEASE HELP my cell is (562)324-0501? Thank You 🙏🏽

6 Responses
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
6 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
3 months ago

Hello, If she is not handleable safely then I would try gage rest for 6-8 weeks to allow it to heal. Quite honestly I wouldn’t suggest amputation unless this is a very docile vaccinated house cat. They can’t be let outside without a foot. If possible have her spayed, vaccinated and then places on cage rest (ie big cage with litterbox food water and bed). She stays in there 24/7 until the foot is healed. (They heal. Promise. But only if not allowed to run or jump). As she is in the crate you can work on trust so she… Read more »

carrie Urquhart
3 months ago

This is why I like you Dr. Magnificent, such an honest answer. No vet would say that. I was going to suggest reaching out to a rescue group for help with funds, but so true. A feral outdoor cat cant properly defend itself without a foot. Perhaps the vet could prescribe some long term anti-inflammatories to help while being on cage rest. They make metacam for cats, seems to work well with little issues.

Question
Profile Image
Kimberly | 4 months ago
Our 9 Month Old Boxer Is Scheduled For A Neuter Just Before He Turns 11 Months Old. A …

Our 9 month old boxer is scheduled for a neuter just before he turns 11 months old. A lot of boxer forums have recommended waiting until male boxers hit 18 months so they don’t miss out of their growing hormones. Just wondering if it’s worth the wait. Simba is definitely a more well behaved pup at 9 months than he was at 5 months. Calms down more easily, isn’t as hyper all of the time. Any input would be appreciated!

1 Response
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Laura
3 months ago

I’m a fan of waiting. If you can be 100% certain to keep him contained in the event he smells a bitch in heat in the neighborhood, it’s good to let him keep his hormones until fully grown.

(People who neuter for behavioral reasons are lazy trainers. Marking is a training issue, unmanaged attitude problems are due to lack of engagement, etc.)