My 8 year old Dachshund, Ruben, was diagnosed with IVDD one week ago by an emergency vet after we weren’t able to speak or get an appointment with our regular vet. This was his second flare up but this time he lost movement and feeling in both his back legs. The vet told us he had no deep pain sensation. Surgery was not a financial option for us so we opted to bring him home and try conservation treatment. Living with a paralyzed dog does not overwhelm me but I do need him to get back his personality and not be in pain anymore.
We are so disappointed with our current vet and how everything played out the day Ruben had his flare up and became paralyzed. We have made calls to a new vet clinic and are waiting to get into their earliest appointment with an educated vet.
From the emergency vet, Ruben was sent home with 4 medications, Tramadol, Metacam, Robaxin, and Gabapentin. It has been one week and he appears to be in much less pain and his body is relaxed, the quivering has stopped and he doesn’t often cry. We stopped giving him the Metacam two days ago because he had all of the side effects that the drug prescribed and we didn’t feel that he needed it for pain management.
In the last two days his appetite has gone downhill, eating very small amounta but then turning away. Even his favourite foods like cheese he wants nothing to do with. He is still drinking water but only when I use a syringe into his mouth.
He has also become extremely lethargic and seems depressed/sad to the point where he won’t move or lift his head without our assistance. All he does is lay there and sleep. We move him around in different positions and he doesn’t cry in pain when we move him, he just doesn’t seem to care. We can flip him over from one side to another and he won’t even life his head. Nothing we do warrants any type of excitement from him. I am terrified he’s losing all his strength and have no idea if this is a normal part of the healing process or if there is something else wrong with him. He does not have bladder control but is peeing often uncontrolled. He also has semi consistent bowel movements, at least one small one per day. No diarrhea but there was some tarry black stool.
My vet appointment is Wednesday, 4 days away still, trying to get in sooner with them but I just don’t know if I should be taking him back to emergency. Please help.
I am so lost in caring for my Chihuahua/dachshund mix. She was diagnosed with IVDD on Sunday December 15, 2019. Surgery was not an option financially so we opted for conservative treatment combined with acupuncture and the Assisi loop treatments. The one thing I can not get a definitive answer on if she needs to 24/7 cage rest of if letting her rest with us on the couch in the evenings okay. Some blogs says strict cage rest for 8 weeks and only out for potty time while many others suggest other treatment plans. I just want to know if I am hurting my fur baby by letting her rest on the couch with me or not. Since the start of her treatments she has gone from full paralysis in her hind legs and being in continent to being able to walk a little and has full control over her bladder/bowels in just a little over a week!
I have a 4 year old miniture dachshund that suddenly couldn’t walk anymore we took him to the emergency room and they took some x Ray’s and stated that there were a couple disks that looked concerning. We were told to keep him in the cage for 4 weeks and see how things go 2 days he seems worse so we took him to the vet and they said make sure that he continues to eat and drink and urinate. IVDD surgery seems like one of our only options however, I dont want it to fail and have him be in more pain any suggestion?
My dog is13 1/2 years old. He is a dachshund/German Shepard mix. More dachshund. He has 5 fatty tumors that have all been biopsied and are not cancerous. They do seem to continue to grow in size. Not substantially but still grow. He had to go In for emergency surgery 2 years ago from cutting his artery in one of his paws during a walk. He has been a little different since then. More afraid of things. Urinates in the house every so often. I don’t know if it is from the surgery or just his age. But my question is whether or not I should have his Tumors removed with his age and how he responded to his last surgery. He is in very good health except for one health issue one time. A year ago he fell down and couldn’t walk. Took him to the vet. They kept him over night. They said it was old dogs disease. It went away 2 days later and hasn’t returned. Other than that he is very healthy. Gets his vaccines, heart worm, tick and flea meds. So do I remove them at his age or leave them alone. I keep debating this in my head and can’t make the call. I want what is best for him. I just don’t want to chance issues with going under anesthesia.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Hello. I have a 15 year old Dachshund, Brody, who is currently suffering from a cervical IVDD injury. This is Brody’s third IVDD injury in his short life, however, it is the most severe. We are not sure what happened this time since Brody was injured when we got home from work. Today is day 7 since Brody went down. While Brody is able to right himself from the lateral position, he does spend most of his time on his side. Brody is able to lift his head and look around, he can scoot himself from one position to another, he has a fantastic appetite, he has feeling in his hind quarters and only deep pain in his front two. My poor boy is not able to consistently empty his bladder and has required cathing; as of today, with the help of lactulose, Brody has been able to empty his bowels, incontinent.
Brody is not a candidate for surgery due to his age and other health conditions, so we are managing him conservatively. Brody has been seen by his regular vet where he was started on prednisone, robaxin, & gabapentin; he also takes CBD and I just started him on tumeric paste. Brody has seen a holistic vet where he had acupuncture done with electro stimulation.
My question is, how long do I give him before we decide that enough is enough? Brody is not in extreme pain, but he does have occasional neck/shoulder spasms that make him scream. I just am afraid of putting him through more than what I should just because I am not ready to let him go. Brody has been my guy for 15 years and I cannot imagine life without him, but I don’t want him to suffer. I have watched Dr. Magnifico’s YouTube videos about giving IVDD dogs time, but what is a realistic timeframe?
Hello! My 9 years old dachshund has been paralyzed from the back legs since Sunday morning. We took him to the vet in the moment that happened. They recommend crate rest for 2 weeks and they going to see him again. He is on steroids, tramadol, a gastric protector and methacarbonol. My concern is that he is not doing pi or poop for his own. The first day I helped him to do number 1 doing some pressure, but number two a vet has to help him. We are now at 2 day and he was able to do number 1 by his self at his bed with a pad underneath, but he hasn’t poop. We are giving a laxative to make his stool softer, but I want to now how can I help him to do it? And want to know if he is not doing it because he is in pain or just because he is afraid to have pain when his trying? I will appreciate all the help. We cannot afford surgery, but we don’t want to give up with him. Thanks
My otherwise healthy 3 yr old female dachsund began exhibiting odd behavior about a month ago. She stops whatever activity she is engaged in and lies down on the floor and simply bobs her head. She will not respond to any commands nor will she eat, drink or potty. These episodes usually occur a couple times a week and may last up to 16l hours such as the one she is currently in. Most, however, last from 1-6 hours. The episodes end just as the began when she will stand up and then maybe jump up on couch with me, or get a drink or a bite to eat or maybe even retrieve a favorite toy. As is for the last 6 hours she had not been lieing on the floor bobbing her head. I’m at a loss here as I nor anyone I’ve asked has ever heard of this type behavior and I’m afraid that 1 day she won’t come out of it and will be lost. Any help or advice you can provide will be met with the utmost gratitude I assure you. Thank you for your consideration.
Hi Dr Magnifico I am emailing you because my 7 year dachshund has a pinched nerve we took him to the vet twice in New Bedford, MA on Wednesday (May 1 2019) and Thursday the 2nd of May. On Wednesday the vet examined and rubbed Oscar’s spine and the rest of his body he told us Oscar had a very bad bruise on the outside and inside of his left on his back legs. But at no moment through the exam Oscar did not cry or complain. During the exam oscar was able to move to get away from the vet he could move his right leg and put a little weight on his left leg. He was injected dexamethasone and prescribed methocarbamol 500mg 1/4 tablet 2-3 time a day & prednisolone 10 mg 1/2 twice day. Later on that night oscar no function of his back legs so on Thursday we retook oscar to the vet we’re told oscer had pinched nerve the vet labeled it as Ivdd. But today Friday he was able to move his back legs just a little to reposition him self I believe he put weight on the legs and he turned. I thought that ivdd dogs could not use or have any movement on their legs. Do you believe oscar has ivdd? We’re feeling confused as a family with the both answers they gave us at the Vet. And if oscar did receive the ivdd surgery how successfull is the outcome on that surgery? Can you please help me in anyway possible with any information.
8 year old Dachshund paralyzed with IVDD. Surgery still an option?
My 8 year old dachshund became paralyzed late last year. This is his second episode. The first time, we had the funds available to quickly get him back surgery and he fully recovered. This time, we just didn’t have the cash so we opted for the conservative method, and have been taking him to physical therapy, treating him with gabapentin and trying to keep his quality of life as good as we can. He is incontinent- he can hold in his urine but not release at will. The last neuro check up we had (2 months ago) they said he was difficult to read and very stoic, so they couldn’t tell if he had deep pain sensation or the ability to move his legs on his own.
We now have enough funds to afford the surgery, but it’s been nearly 6 months. Is it still possible that this would have any benefit? His incontinence and general high needs is starting to wear on me, and he’s now self harming. I don’t know what else to do to help him.
My dauchshund was examined yesterday he had rear leg paralysis but now he won’t eat and I can’t get him to take pills I’m all worried that because he isn’t eating the pills will make him sick please help