Cassie is a 7 year old Cockapoo who presented to the clinic due to limping. During her complete physical exam, the veterinarian evaluated Cassie’s teeth and noted that she had significant tartar buildup. She recommended that once Cassie’s issues with lameness resolved (which they did, happily!), she should have a thorough dental cleaning. Preliminary bloodwork was ordered at this initial appointment, before scheduling Cassie’s dental cleaning, during which she would be under general anesthesia.
Significant tartar buildup
Scale and polish, stage 2
“Stage 2” means there are signs of early periodontitis, which is inflammation of the gums and the supporting structures of the teeth. Periodontal disease can cause loosening of teeth. Periodontitis is caused by certain bacteria (known as periodontal bacteria) and by the local inflammation triggered by those bacteria. Although these periodontal bacteria are naturally present in the mouth, they are only harmful when the conditions are right for them to increase dramatically in numbers. This happens when a layer of bacteria and food debris, known as plaque, builds up and is left undisturbed on the teeth, commonly in hard-to-reach areas such as between the teeth.
For more information about dental disease in pets, visit the American Veterinary Dental College web site topic “For Pet Owners” at
Itemized costs of treatment for Cassie:
Anesthesia, additional 20 minutes: $30
Scale and polish, stage 2: $95
IV catheter placement: $40
Intravenous fluids: $50
Fluid pump: $25
Rimadyl injection 50mg/mL (analgesic/pain relief): $22.69
Propoflo induction: $60
Enzadent Toothpaste Kit (to send home with owner): $14.50
TOTAL COST: $462.19
Cassie’s dental cleaning went very well, and she was doing great when she was seen for her post-treatment check-up approximately 3 weeks later. Cassie’s owner is brushing her teeth as often as she can, and also using dental wipes, to help prevent additional tartar buildup on her teeth.
Cassie’s story is shared with permission from her owner.
This story was posted by Suzanne Cannon on behalf of Jarrettsville Veterinary Center.