My 24 pound beagle, Shadow, jumped on the counter and stole a chocolate cupcake off of it. …

My 24 pound beagle, Shadow, jumped on the counter and stole a chocolate cupcake off of it. The recipe called for half a cup of cocoa powder and it made around 16 cupcakes (she only stole one).

Is this toxic and should I go to the vet immediately or is it only a certain amount of chocolate that would affect her?

Browse Topics:
Subscribe
Notify of
30,207 Comment threads
401 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Laura
1 year ago

Hi Samantha, in each case it’s whatever the dog will tolerate. I would certainly call your vet, but if you see no changes I wouldn’t worry overmuch. Monitor your dog. If she starts to vomit, shake, pee a LOT more, or have diarrhea? Take her in immediately, do not pass go.

Krista Magnifico
1 year ago

Hello.
As the mom of a beagle who would be just as sneaky (but isn’t yet. Thank goodness) I can say this will probably only cause gi upset. That’s not enough chocolate to cause toxicity. As long as your pup is otherwise healthy. You should always talk to your vet and always if worried call the pet poison helpline. There are also choc tox formulas that help available online.