We just began an adoption trial with an adorable 4 month old kitten named Georgia. She’s very playful and happy but we instantly realized a few things seemed off with her health.
She’s got a watery eye, sneezes occasionally, scratches a lot, shakes her head occasionally, has a lot of gas, has diarrhea on and off, and is dealing with some mild bowel incontinence. But, most concerningly, seems to be dealing with a recurring anal or rectal prolapse.
We’ve taken her to two vets where she’s been given full examinations and deemed healthy. She has had two fecal tests, which return good results – no parasites are seen. She has prescription eye drops, a prescription antibiotic, prescription canned food, and a probiotic that we’ve just started. But no one seems to be as concerned about this rectal issue as we are.
Throughout the day, we notice a tiny bit of pink tissue poking out of her rectum. It’s very small and comes and goes. She also passes gas when this happens. And sometimes poop leaks out. She licks her butt a lot too.
Sometimes a cylindrical round bit of red tissue protrudes much further and what looks like a piece of poop can be seen poking out too. This tends to happen most often when she wakes up from a nap. It seems that her muscles relax and her bowel starts to come out. It will be out for seconds to a few minutes after she gets up and is moving around and then it pushes itself back in. It’s very disturbing to see!
We already have one special needs cat and, while we absolutely love this kitten and want to keep her, I’m afraid that this is going to be a recurring issue that will become very stressful. The vets we’ve seen are trying to treat the underlying cause, which they assume is diarrhea. But I’ve read that some parasites don’t show up on fecal exams or under microscopes – is this true? I’ve also read that stitches and surgery can help if this doesn’t improve on its own but that, with some cats, this is just a recurring problem throughout their lives.
In June my Labrador developed a lesion on her side. She was treated with antibiotics and a medicated shampoo with no success. Her hair started thinning and she developed a lesion on the opposite side. Bloodwork was run to test for Cushings which was negative. As she started to take a Cushings type appearance her docs followed up with an ultrasound. In October she had a punch biopsy. She was treated with Apoquel with no improvement. She has lesions on her chest, both sides near her hips and one near her hind end. I have never seen her itching or chewing. The lesions are crusty and pretty dense. Hair loss is only on her trunk.
A little history: my dog is 10 1/2, has spay induced incontinence, history of frequent UTI’s, frequent urination, and megaesophagus. She is on Dasuquin, Cranmate and Welactin. Despite her plethora of health issues she has never had skin issues. Typically her coat is blue-black, thick and shiny.
She doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable but she seems to have a pretty high pain threshold.
Thank you for your time.
We rescued our almost 2 year old dog in early January. She was spade in November I believe. In late February she was diagnosed with a UTI and has seemed to have issues ever since. She was given medicine for her UTI and as soon as she finished she seemed to have some more dribbling at times, and straining and not a large production of urine. We took her to the vet and they said there was some formation of crystals, her PH was high, and they recommended notto do a certain kind of testing (I can’t remember what) because she just came off antibiotics and said it wouldn’t yield true results. They said we could do a blood test and X-ray, but I wasn’t sure it was necessary. A few days later she had what I believe they called large intestine diarrhea and needed medication for that. She just finished the medication and probiotic for that this week and now she is having some dribbling or puddling issues. I noticed it yesterday, but I thought my son just scared her with his toy. Today, it was after coming in from a walk. She was laying down and peed a small puddle. She has been drinking plenty and goes to the bathroom and produces a normal amount of urine, she doesn’t seem to strain at all. Not sure if I should call the vet and what kind of tests she should get moving forward. It is getting very expensive and I can’t keep spending almost $200 for each vet visit.
How do I know when it’s time to let go of my dog? My Baby is a 17yo Shih Tzu, she is blind and deaf now. She has a great appetite but has and is lossing so much weight. She is skin and bones. She can barely stand and walk without constantly falling over. She is incontinent of her bowels and urine more in the last week, before she was able to go 4-6 hours before peeing all over herself. She is groaning a lot lately, normally she doesn’t make any sounds unless we accidently cause her pain. I don’t know what I should do? I don’t want to make her suffer. Please help me
8 year old Dachshund paralyzed with IVDD. Surgery still an option?
My 8 year old dachshund became paralyzed late last year. This is his second episode. The first time, we had the funds available to quickly get him back surgery and he fully recovered. This time, we just didn’t have the cash so we opted for the conservative method, and have been taking him to physical therapy, treating him with gabapentin and trying to keep his quality of life as good as we can. He is incontinent- he can hold in his urine but not release at will. The last neuro check up we had (2 months ago) they said he was difficult to read and very stoic, so they couldn’t tell if he had deep pain sensation or the ability to move his legs on his own.
We now have enough funds to afford the surgery, but it’s been nearly 6 months. Is it still possible that this would have any benefit? His incontinence and general high needs is starting to wear on me, and he’s now self harming. I don’t know what else to do to help him.
Hi. My dog Daisy has hurt herself and has not been able to walk or use her back legs. After advice and a little time we took her to get x rays. She does not have a fracture so i asume the next possibility is a disc injury. The vet has referred us to a specialist in akron for surgery and recomended that we should not wait more than 12 to 24 hours. This is not possible for my family. The vet also said that she is incontinent due to nerve damage but i have done some research on injuried disc and it seems to only be a problem if they are not urinating or deficating which my dog has been doing both. I believe this is because she can not get up to go outside so we have kept pee pads under her and we clean her every time she goes. If she had a stroke i believe she should have improved on her own by now. If she has injured her disc (possibly thoracic area) is there any non surgical options? Could we keep her on bed rest and possibly some at home physical therapy? She doesnt seem to be in any unbearable pain as long as we contiue to give her meds ( Tramadol 50mg, Prednisone 20mg, Methocarbamol 500mg, Gabapentin 100mg). I do not want to just give up on her and put her down as she is still young and just this morning she tried to jump up after getting excited but i quickly stopped her because it can still be painful to flip her if we touch the wrong spot. Because of the way she was positioned when i walked in the room she lifted her head/neck backwards and it seems to be a good sign of mobility. Her back legs are the only problem. Any advice would help. Thank you.
I recently began fostering a kitten that I hope to adopt. She has atresia ani and a stricture in her rectum. She had corrective surgery 4 months ago and is doing much better. She can now use the litter box but she still has frequent poop droppings. She is currently being given lysine, probiotics and omega-3 supplements with her kitten wet and dry food. I won’t be able to keep her if the fecal incontinence continues at this rate. So I wondering if there was anything I could do to stop this? Can she have surgery again? Can a change in diet help her? I would like to switch her to a raw diet because the rest of my cats are on it and are doing great. However, I wasn’t sure if she would be able to tolerate the change. Can she eat a raw diet or will it cause constipation since raw food makes the fecal harder? If she can’t eat raw food can you recommend a diet for her? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Hi this question is for Dr. Magnifico and her associates. My name is Nadine and I live in Chicago. I recently visited my parents residence in georgia and just a couple days prior to my visit their beloved 11 year-old Bichon Frise developed IVDD and she is now paralyzed and incontinent. I hardly got any sleep over the holiday weekend because I was taking care of her and was overwhelmed with how much pain she is in. My parents took her to two vets and the diagnosis was the same and medicines were prescribed but it is tough because “Sofia” is very resistant to taking them no matter how it is administered. My parents are going to the university of georgia veterinary hospital to inquire about surgical treatment, but my question is do you specifically board dogs with this condition? My family and I were so impressed with your work with Hank and it made us hopeful.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
My Frenchie had ivdd surgery 3 weeks ago she has paralysis of both hind legs and is incontinent. We just had recheck today and vet said there is no change is he doesn’t think that’s a good sign. He was talking about euthanizibg her if her condition doesn’t change in 6 months. I don’t know if I’m being unrealistic or am I holding on to hope. I have read that some dogs go regsin function again. I’m bringing her for accupuncture but don’t see any change
What would u recommend for a all natural remedy for a 9 years old American bulldog with incontinence due to spaying when she was younger
She is on proin and has developed skin leasions