Hello. My 16 year old female burmese “crashed” Feb 29, and March 2nd was diagnosed with Feline Lower Urinary Disease and Chronic Kidney Disease.
Her Kidney values are now stable and her only elevated numbers are Creatanine at 2.6 and Bun at 46
but her bladder keeps flaring up
When diagnosed she was shooting projectile urine. Her bladder wall was thickened. Covenia did nothing but Amoxycillin resolved the infection.
2 months later she had a couple of accidents and it appeared that she had another infection. Once again Amoxycillin worked! She had a culture done and it showed no bacteria..
She has been taking supplements Kidney Gold, and Moxxor Fish Oil since April, and started CBD oil around June
Late July I started her on D-Mannose and COrn Silk Extract as suggested in the FLUTD facebook group
last month she started peeing blood clots, Vet instructed me to give her Sub Q 100ml to flush her and start amoxycilin immediately.. 7 day course and she was fine, but 2 days after the course finished was a repeat episode.
This time the vet suggested a higher dose at 1ml morning and night for 10 days.. Well it seemed to work amazing but last night was exactly FIVE DAYS after stopping the amoxycillin and she had another episode
We are doing a third round of antibiotics, this time amoxy mixed with something stronger..
He asked me to stop the corn silk and D-Mannose completely since they were the newest added to the regeme and he is wondering if they could have changed her bladder PH for the negative.
How can I minimize the recurrence?
Oh I have read all about stress being the cause and my new born baby was 4 months old at the end of Feb when Tashee had her first crash.
My vet and I talked about future possibilites in regard to Amitriptaline, Gaberpenton, Adequan injections
Cat’s diet = she refuses any wet food besides kitten fancy feast.. she will not eat anything else and will starve herself.
She is offered 2 fancy feast cans per day
she does steal dry kibble so my vet told me to get the Royal Canin Kidney kibble so that when she eats kibble its good for her
Sub q is 150ml twice a week as to minimize the pressure or force on urethra.
Cat is 100% indoors, burmese female steralized
9 year old female healthy and happy lab seen for a full physical and check up a week ago. Hip/knee mild pain not really improved on Dasuquin. Also new onset of itchy feet (pet is chewing and this happens yearly) from season allergies.
Recommended and started on Gallaprant for a week trial in conjunction with Fish oil 2000mgs daily. Started on gabapentin 3 days ago 300mg bid……Haven’t see any improvement yet.
For the feet, Benadryl 75mg po bid for the past 5 days, which is somewhat effective but wears off quickly. Neo predef foot powder, which helped in the past, unavailable, therefore started on prescription foot bath solution bid. Unfortunately, Foot bath is clearly not decreasing the chewing.
My main concern is that as of this morning, she is now in discomfort with what appears to be an upset stomach. Refused to eat breakfast which has NEVER happened before (even with previous GI illnesses). Not sure which medication might be causing this?
My ex-feral cat has been diagnosed with a tape worm that the vet had us treat with a round of Cestex (25mg – 1 1/2x’s day for 2 days) this knocked the fecal test from a 4+ to a 2+ and they recommended the same meds again, knocked it from a 2+ to a 1+. Now they say do it again or come in and the cat can get a shot. The cat has had check up’s every year since coming inside, and tape worm was noted once before and meds given at the vet. Now they think she has had it for as long as she has been inside. Told it is a type of worm not normally seen in SE USA, more Pacific NW and could be caught from eating dead fish in a pond or frogs. When she was feral and coming to the door at night she would bring us frogs so this makes sense. Question is, is this type of worm bad for the cat long term? And does it pose any health risks for us? She really gets upset when being given the pills and does not travel well to the vet for shots. Any thoughts are appreciated, wish I could remember the name of the worm the tech told us on the phone.
I just read a post on a dog forum I’m in regarding doing titer testing before giving vaccinations to find out if they are really needed and that over vaccinating can be bad for our pets especially smaller pets. Should I discuss this with my vet before getting vaccines for my almost 9 yr old small breed dog? I thought I was doing the best thing for my pet…I just don’t know what to believe anymore.
My rescue cat of 5 years is showing all the symptoms of Nasopharyngeal Polyp. He is my everything!
OH please I am begging for help here ! I am disabled and he is the center of world . I am on the south west coast of Washington State, my rescue cat Kiki presents with all these symptoms ( I come from a family of RN and Bachelor in Nursing ) I have called vest around here and ALL of them say they do not do this surgery because they dont have the scope, or they will not even discuss possible price or treatment without me coming in and the vet seeing them. They say they will diagnose and refer me to a specialty clinic not far away . The specialty clinic gave me a quote of $3,500-$5,000 !! If this is even what is wrong with him . I am devastated that no one will even discuss this with me without paying for a vet visit. It looks like i could spend hundreds in visits before i can find someone who is even willing to think about this surgery without referral to the very expensive specialty place . PLEASE HELP I CANNOT AFFORD THAT MUCH !! Meanwhile my poor sweet Kiki is slowly getting worse. I dont know what to do anymore !!!!!!!!
I have an 9 year old spayed female pit/terrier mix with a history of liver disease. She has recently been getting hairless black spots showing up on her sides and legs, especially in the rear. Her biopsy came back as possibly ischemic dermatomyosits. The antibiotic that her vet put her on seems to have made no difference, and the fish oil and vit E are A) difficult to give her and B) she hasn’t been on them long enough to know if they are helping. She has no apparent muscle involvement. Would doing blood studies for autoimmune diseases help me get a better plan for treatment? What specialist would be best to manage her care? Any information or help in this problem would really be appreciated!
Hi Dr Magnifico I am emailing you because my 7 year dachshund has a pinched nerve we took him to the vet twice in New Bedford, MA on Wednesday (May 1 2019) and Thursday the 2nd of May. On Wednesday the vet examined and rubbed Oscar’s spine and the rest of his body he told us Oscar had a very bad bruise on the outside and inside of his left on his back legs. But at no moment through the exam Oscar did not cry or complain. During the exam oscar was able to move to get away from the vet he could move his right leg and put a little weight on his left leg. He was injected dexamethasone and prescribed methocarbamol 500mg 1/4 tablet 2-3 time a day & prednisolone 10 mg 1/2 twice day. Later on that night oscar no function of his back legs so on Thursday we retook oscar to the vet we’re told oscer had pinched nerve the vet labeled it as Ivdd. But today Friday he was able to move his back legs just a little to reposition him self I believe he put weight on the legs and he turned. I thought that ivdd dogs could not use or have any movement on their legs. Do you believe oscar has ivdd? We’re feeling confused as a family with the both answers they gave us at the Vet. And if oscar did receive the ivdd surgery how successfull is the outcome on that surgery? Can you please help me in anyway possible with any information.
Hi Dr. Magnifico. I realized the geriatric diet is chicken based, which gives Dottie hives. Would the liver diet work with some kind of supplement we could add to it? Maybe some pumpkin or something? I have been trying to find low protein, fish based geriatric foods for dogs with liver and kidney problems. Thank you!
We have (2) 1year old cats. One loves the CET toothpaste and the other has no interest to even lick it off my finger.. We have tried the seafood and poultry flavor. Any alternatives you would recommend? I seen they also make the CET chews in fish or poultry flavor. Curious if they are just as effective. Thanks
Dear Dr. Magnifico,
I’m writing to you about my 19-year-old cat, Molly who was recently diagnosed with FCE or IVDD. I have a few questions which I hope you can answer for me.
Two weeks ago tonight, I left home for a few hours. Molly was fine when I left. When I got home, I found Molly under the bed with her back legs paralyzed. Although Molly was paralyzed, she did not appear to be in pain. Molly has always had a strong appetite. I fed her canned cat food through the night by slipping it under the bed. She ate normally.
I took Molly to her vet on Thursday morning. The vet did an xray and said that she thought Molly had either FCE or IVDD. Molly had no movement in her back legs, but she did have deep pain sensation in both back paws. The vet told me that if Molly had FCE, then she had a 25% chance of recovering significant leg movement within 2-3 days. If after 2-3 days she still hadn’t recovered any use of her legs, the chances that she would ever recover decreased to 10%. The vet said that if Molly had IVDD (which is the diagnosis she was leaning toward) then she had no chance of recovery of function in her legs. The vet recommended waiting until the following Monday to give Molly a chance to recover some leg function. If she didn’t show signs of recovery by Monday, she recommended euthanizing her. The vet gave me a prescription for prednisolone and gabapentin and I brought Molly in to the office 3 days in a row (Thurs. Fri. and Sat.) for a laser treatment.
Between Thursday and Monday, I did some reading and watched some YouTube videos about FCE and IVDD. What I learned appeared to be at odds with what the vet told me. There is a YouTube video showing physical therapy exercises one man did with his dog who has FCE. This man’s dog was paralyzed for 2 months. In the third month, the dog began to walk again. I watched every video you made about Hank and his recovery from IVDD. Hank appeared to be in worse shape than Molly was in the beginning. Molly lost back leg function, but her front legs were fine.
On Monday, I told Molly’s vet that based on what I’d learned about FCE and IVDD, I was planning to give Molly more time to recover. The vet said that she was very skeptical about Molly’s chances of recovery but it was my choice. She recommended that I continue to bring Molly in for laser treatments. Other than that, she gave me no advice or guidance on how to help Molly.
Molly has other health issues. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at age 14. It’s been under control with methimazole since her diagnosis. She was diagnosed with kidney disease at age 17. Her kidney values have remained stable since her diagnosis. Also at age 17, she was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Her blood pressure has remained normal since she began taking a small dose of amlodipine daily. So, Molly has some health problems, but everything was under control with medication.
Since the time that Molly was diagnosed with kidney disease 2 years ago, she has used the litter box frequently – about every 2 hours. She eats a lot of canned food and drinks a lot of water. The vet has said that she’s not dehydrated. I give Molly a potassium supplement and B12.
Molly seems to feel good. Her appetite has remained normal. She is alert and affectionate – she has continued to be this way since developing paralysis two weeks ago.
Right after Molly’s paralysis, I thought I saw some small movement in her back legs. Two weeks later, I see some unmistakable movement now in both hind legs. But the movement I’m seeing is far from normal movement. On Christmas Day, I made a video which I uploaded to YouTube of some of the movement I’m seeing in Molly’s legs. I’d like to know if this movement is a step toward Molly recovering her leg function or not.
Molly Saying Hello – 19 seconds – Dec. 24, 2018
Molly Leg Movement – 3:30 seconds – Christmas Day – In addition to the movement seen in the video, I’ve seen Molly stretch her leg backward and curl the toes of both feet on multiple occasions.
In the very beginning, when the vet said Molly’s condition might be FCE, I found a YouTube video on physical therapy for FCE (https://youtu.be/T_l_OWRT0ck). It was basically moving the affected leg in a bicycle motion 25 times 4 times a day. I did that with Molly for a few days. I did it very slowly and gently. It didn’t cause Molly any pain (she often fell asleep as I did it). After I started thinking it was more likely that Molly has IVDD, I became concerned the PT exercises were the wrong thing to do and almost discontinued doing them. Now, I wonder if that was a mistake because Molly’s legs have become much stiffer than they were in the beginning. I can no longer do these exercises with Molly because of the stiffness in her legs.
I just need some guidance about how well or badly Molly is doing and what to do to help her recover going forward. I plan to continue working with Molly’s current vet but would like input from someone knowledgeable about IVDD.
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion and thank you for the wonderful, helpful videos on IVDD. I wish I lived near your clinic because Molly would be your patient tomorrow if I lived near you.