Jake, 6 year old, 17 lb. wire-haired dachshund ate about 10 oz. of dried cherries…

Jake, 6 year old, 17 lb. wire-haired dachshund ate about 10 oz. of dried cherries yesterday. He did not eat dinner or breakfast and has been drinking lots of water. He is a little lethargic, but not uncomfortable. What should I do?

Subscribe
Notify of
30,111 Comment threads
362 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
4 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Clara Boulton
5 years ago

*unsteady on his feet

Clara Boulton
5 years ago

Cherries themselves are not actually poisoness to dogs, in fact alongside bananas, apples and berries your dog can safely enjoy these.  However with cherries the pits contain a toxic chemical, it could be possible that there might be some present in those cherries. Personally I would get to the vet asap and keep a close eye on your dog. If he is unsteady on your vet I would call an emergency vet right now as this could mean he is very toxic. Some of the symptoms that he presents are some of those seen in kidney failure. Keep an eye… Read more »

Clara Boulton
5 years ago

It’s a good sign that he isn’t unsteady on his feet. Just keep an eye on him, it may be best just to get a consultation from the vet if he hasn’t perked up by tomorrow. He may just be feeling a bit rubbish after being every so slightly greedy… Best of luck!