Frequent flyer here, back with another question! All 3 of my cats have a current issue- Milo, who you gave advice on before with his chronic rhinitis/sinusitis which we have mostly under control with nebulizing Gentamycin and saline. Lily, who I asked about recently, was diagnosed with a heart murmur who has further testing on March 18th.
But my question today is about my youngest cat Pippin, who will be 2 years old this month. Pippin has always been a piggy, and eats his food very fast. He throws up every other day or every 3 days, and it is full pieces of food mixed with some liquid, as if this food never made its way down. I tried slow feeding bowls for a few months, but when the vomiting continued I switched back to regular bowls as to not disturb the other cats with this new feeding system for no reason.
I took Pippin to the vet and he told me to try hairball gel, which Pippin luckily loved and gobbled down for a few weeks, but the vomiting continued. The vet then suggested bloodwork, which I just got the results of today. I was told that his white blood cell count was high, specifically lymphocites and the vet suggested that we do further blood work then would include feline aids and leukemia as the initial blood work did not test for those. He stated that we may also want to consider an ultrasound.
Many in my life tell me that I get “taken for a ride” by vets because they know ill fork over whatever money it takes to keep my pets healthy. I wondered what your advice would be about this situation or what steps you might be taking if you were seeing Pippin, as I trust your morals and standards more than any vet (if only you weren’t so far from me)
Thank you so much for any insight you might have.
Courtney & Pippin