My dog just ate some tomatoes and I read online that they were toxic. Please…

My dog just ate some tomatoes and I read online that they were toxic. Please help. What should I do ?

Browse Topics:
Subscribe
Notify of
30,117 Comment threads
364 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
7 years ago

Hello Cathy

The Pet Poison Helpline can answer this question for you.

They are an excellent online or on the phone resource.

Petpoisonhelpline.com

I have never seen a pet die from eating tomatoes and I have had clients who’s dogs actually went to the garden and ate them off the plant. They did however get belly aches and diarrhea.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely
Krista

Krista Magnifico, DVM
Owner Jarrettsville Veterinary Center
Jarrettsville, MD
http://www.jarrettsvillevet.com

Krista Magnifico
7 years ago

"Tomatoes are barely poisonous and are generally pretty safe to feed dogs. Most dogs don’t ingest enough tomato plants to cause a problem. Tomato plants are in the Nightshade family and contain tomatine. Tomatine is found in concentrations of up to 5% in the leafy greens, the fruit blossoms, and in small green tomatoes; this concentration rapidly decreases as the tomato ripens. When stems, vines and green fruit are ingested, clinical signs can include gastrointestinal irritation, ataxia, and weakness. Treatment is purely supportive with an overall good prognosis." The above is from the pet poison helpline. Krista Magnifico, DVMOwner Jarrettsville… Read more »