My 4 year old mini dachshund has been diagnosed with a herniated disk and the…

My 4 year old mini dachshund has been diagnosed with a herniated disk and the neurologist is recommending surgery. He is obviously experiencing pain but steroids and gabapentin seem to be helping for now. This is his second round of steroids consecutively. He is confined to a small area and we are carrying him in and outside. I obviously want to do what is right for him but am reluctant to have the surgery done without trying any other remedy first. He is not seeming to be in pain at this point but we only have one more steroid to go. Does anyone have any recommendations or can share their experience??

Browse Topics:
Subscribe
Notify of
29,998 Comment threads
320 Thread replies
Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
Comment authors
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Krista Magnifico
1 year ago

Hello,
My best advice is to see a neurologist ASAP. From there It is my personal experience and opinion that if surgery is done ASAP these patient fare better than this who wait. The only time I don’t regret surgery is when the owner cannot afford it. If you cannot the patients who recover best are those with owners who devote heir time and lives to their pets during the recovery period. I have lots of info on my blog and YouTube channel. I wish you both the best.