Are Essential Oils bad for dogs and cats? I used to use Essential oils in a diffuser for my own health all the time. But since hearing from some sources that these are bad for animals I have stopped. I am getting contradicting information from animal professionals as to if using essentials oils in a diffuser is bad for animals. I have 5 cats and two dogs and do not want to do anything to upset them. One of my cats has IBS but all the other animals are healthy if that is relevant. If essential oils are not bad for animals I would love to start using them again. Anyone know for certain?
My dog had surgery on her knee about a couple of weeks before Christmas. She had a grade 4 luxating patella. It was a hard journey as she ended up having a rare side effect from the medication that was used and went into Kidney failure. Her kidney function is almost back to normal now. This week on Tues she had the pin and wires removed from her knee. During the first surgery she did not appear to have any bruising but this time she has alot. The bruising is a red and brown colour. I have been trying to get a hold of the surgeon to find out of this is normal but he is not available. Can anyone tell me if this is normal bruising for after getting pins and wires removed?
Is there hope for a normal life after Kidney Failure in a young dog? My 10 month old puppy went under the knife for simple knee surgery. When she came home she refused to eat and started having tremors and eventually we had to rush her to an emergency hospital with a grand mal seizure. They determined that her sodium levels were too low and that may be causing the seizures. They also determined that she was in renal failure. She has been tested for Addison’s disease but it is NOT that. Right now she is in hospital with a catheter so they can measure her urine. She is peeing a lot but it is mostly water. They are working on raising her sodium levels slowly and today they are up to 101.. Her electrolytes and potassium are normal. Her Creatinine level was 800 on Sun, 600 yesterday and has gone down to 400 today which is great news. They also did an ultrasound and her kidneys looked good. She is usually a very active puppy but right now is lethargic and confused. Now we are waiting to see if her kidneys will heal or not. I am completely confused after reading articles with contradicting information. I know that it is difficult without seeing her test results but I am asking for a second opinion. Is there any hope of returning to a normal life after this?
From what I have read it is normal for male Ibizan Hounds to have a reduction in appetite during adolescence. This is something that is apparently temporary and the appetites do return. Does anyone know if this is also a typical behavior for female Ibizan Hounds during adolescence?
Elle is constipated – this just started tonight. I have given her some puree pumpkin and psyllium fibre. I am not sure what caused this but here are my 2 guesses as to what it could be . .
1) She had a doggie-chocolate treat from the pet store last night. This is the first time she has had doggie-chocolate
2) I have caught her in the past eating cat litter. The litter is completely organic with no chemicals – it is made from grass. I don’t let her eat it but I am sure she could sneak some when I’m not looking.
Obviously if it does not clear up I will take her to the vet. But for now is there anything else I should be giving her?
I have two dogs, one is a 5 months, the other is a year and a bit.
My puppy eats dry puppy food mixed with wet for flavor.
My older dog eats regular food mixed with wet for flavor. Her food says on it “For all Stages”. Both are holistic and of the same brand and I find it confusing why they would bother making a puppy food if the other is good for all stages. Opinions on that are welcome!
Both, of course, want each others food in place of their own. Grass is always greener on the other side! So my question is . . . At what age can you typically switch Puppy’s over to regular dog food?
– Rescued From A Reservation
– Part Husky/part Wire-hair Terrier And Probably A Mix Of…
– rescued from a reservation
– part husky/part wire-hair terrier and probably a mix of a few other things as well
– I have had her for almost two month and she has done this a total of 3 times.
– she had mange from the reservation, although her mange is now clear she has a yeast infection in some areas of her skin as a result.
– She was treated for the yeast infection with steroids and medicated baths. She just finished her steroids 2 days ago, we are still giving her the baths and her skin is much better.
– She was spayed by the human society before we got her (she was just under 3 months old when this was done)
– other then the bed-wetting and the yeast infection she is a happy, energetic and wonderful puppy.