I work front desk at a vet and a client brought in a stray. No chip and shelters wouldn’t take her. She was going to be released outside since no one would home her and it’s so cold in VA.. so I took her in. I got her shots and tested for FIV, FeLuk, etc to know if she’s safe around my 10 yr neutered male cat. Then the vet said she seems to be pregnant but the ultrasound was inconclusive. But she definitely matches the description of “pinking” and has no hair around her nipples. But I have no idea how far along she is! Last week we didn’t see kittens on ultrasound but now they think she looks pregnant for sure. How do I know? Vet doesn’t want to stress her with more imaging. Also, what do I do when she goes into labor?? Will my male cat be okay around her? They’ve been ok the few times I’ve let them interact but will she change personality when she has kittens? Is she’s likely nicer now than she’ll be after just since she’s “nesting”? Is the stress too much to introduce her to my cat? She’s scratching through the door to get to the rest of the house so I’d like not to keep her cooped up 24/7. Also, when do I know labor is starting? Will she pick a place? How can I make that not be the bed or couch? Or can I cover them? And she eats like she’s STARVING! She looks so tiny to be pregnant.. I read you feed them all they want at a certain point; when is that? How much should I give her each stage? I have Hills ultimate care adult. I went ahead and got some Iams kitten food but when do I start mixing it in? I’m even more lost not knowing how far along she is. I’ve had her 1 week so at least that far along but I could use as much help as possible. Especially regarding labor. I know she’ll most likely do it all on her own but I see so much of what can go wrong working at a vet and I’d like to be prepared. I’ve attached pictures of her. Please help me help her.
My male approx. 8 yr old cat’s blood and urinalysis came back with some abnormal results. He has a little blood (+1 according to vet’s scale) and protein (+2) in his urine. However, we ruled out kidney failure/issues. He has passed a stone in the past and had noticeable blood then, but the vet is saying he doesn’t know if that’s the cause now and wants to treat it as idiopathic cystitis, thus no known cause = no set treatment.
For various reasons, I have had suspicions that my vet is not acting honestly in all regards (from severe misdiagnosis, offering unnecessary treatments as only options, and charging me for services that I wasn’t asked/ told about) but will be moving in a month so will see a new vet anyway.
For now though, I want to address any possible issue before the move seeing as stress may worsen it. So this vet is saying since they don’t know what the cause of the test results is but want to give me various antibiotics and meds to treat all possible causes. But he himself said that the medicine he’d put me on (Orbax, 10 day supply) has less expensive alternative options but “they don’t have flavoring so it’s harder to get cats to take them” and I’d have to potentially give it 2x a day instead of 1x. But I don’t care how often and I honestly don’t care how much it costs, but I really care that my vet is acting in the best interest of my cat NOT prescribing just because he can. What’s more, Feline idiopathic cystitis seems to be diagnosed by things he didn’t do as he didn’t culture the urine (and said he doesn’t want to because it’s only 50% accurate), didn’t x-ray, and didn’t ultrasound (source:
Based on the urinalysis results and clean blood work, has anyone had any similar experiences that could be a cause? I’d rather not put my cat on antibiotics he doesn’t need and potentially mess him up more… especially if proper steps of diagnosis haven’t occurred. Any advice would be very, very appreciated!
I need help finding a surgeon for luxation of both scapula in a cat. I’ve been to two vets, called countless surgeons in multiple states, and even emailed a professor who wrote one of the articles I have found on the issue. All of them say something different (with the exception of the email that has yet to be returned). My vet said they couldn’t do anything but take x-rays, a second opinion (regular vet practice) offered injections of Adequan (which won’t fix the problem). When I asked my vet about the effectiveness of injections they turned around and said they’d sell me Ichon injections (which seem even more questionable) which is interesting they didn’t suggest it sooner if they could.
Of the surgeons I’ve called, I’ve asked all of them if they have experience in this rare condition. Surgery isn’t the only option; I’ve done my research. Surgery isn’t always the best treatment depending on severity and individual factors of the cat. But all of them seem to be selling the surgery. They won’t consider anything else.
Everyone wants me to bring him in so they can take their own x-rays and do their own exam, which I understand to a point but I’m a student with only so much money. While I’m willing to put what it takes if my cat needs surgery, I don’t want to spend thousands just on consults before we even do a potential surgery. And what am I supposed to do but get another opinion when everyone gives me a different diagnosis that fits their practice? One hospital even said bring the cat to their ER now which I know is wrong because I know while he may be uncomfortable, he is not in pain. I would not let him be in severe pain. I don’t want him uncomfortable either, but I need to know that I’m making the best decision not just being sold a service *especially* if it’s one he doesn’t need.
Please, please, please let me know if you know of anyone with experience in this area. Private practice to university professor wanting to use it as educational- I just need someone with experience beyond “knowing how to do it in theory.” Any help is beyond appreciated!!
My cat is an approximately 7 years old, 13lbs, tuxedo male who has always been an indoor cat. He was popping a lot this summer but every time I called the vet they brushed me off till I brought him in. Then they were shocked and said they’ve never seen this in a cat before, and only in one dog besides. They said he’s subluxating in both of his shoulders and there was nothing they could do. I took him to another vet who also practiced animal chiropractic care hoping they would help, but now one shoulder is fully luxated and they could only suggest a type of glucosamine injection. I did what research I could on feline subluxation and know surgery is the only real fix, so I’d really like advice on a) if injections would be helpful or if I should go ahead with the surgery ASAP before he gets any older and b) if ANYONE knows a feline orthopedic surgeon who has experience with this. I’ve inquired around my state but no luck and I want someone knowledgeable since this is such a rare condition.