Hi Pawbly ? I’ve written in before about my 2 year old fully indoor cat Pippin who is a chronic vomiter. He throws up 1-3 times a day, and it’s always undigested hard food with some liquid. He doesn’t throw up immediately after eating, usually a few hours later. Sometimes he heaves for a minute or so without throwing up, and it’s pretty scary as it seems like he’s choking.
Since I’ve last written in, Ive tried hairball gel for weeks to no relief, and had a very expensive ultrasound done on him to see if there was some sort of mass that was causing him to throw up, the vet said that all came back 100% clear, and suggested I do a biopsy of his stomach tissue (which I’m not sure I’ll do as it seems really extreme) or try switching the protein in his food.
We switched from his normal Limited Ingredient Diet Natural Balance green pea & salmon to LID green pea & venison, and he still threw up. We then switched from venison to LID green pea & duck, and he still threw up. These trial and errors are a bit stressful, as I have 2 other cats that are “free-fed” from the same bowls, so when he switches, everyone switches.
He does share one can of Natural Balance seafood wet food with the other two cats every morning as a treat. I tried taking this away for a week and it seemed like he threw up less, but still threw up every other day or so.
My question is- can I stop searching for an answer? Do I just have a cat that throws up? Should I switch to a completely different brand of cat food and see if that helps? All 3 cats love the Natural balance food, so I hate to switch for no reason, but of course would do so if it would help his tummy.
Thanks for your help!
Frequent flyer here, back with another question! All 3 of my cats have a current issue- Milo, who you gave advice on before with his chronic rhinitis/sinusitis which we have mostly under control with nebulizing Gentamycin and saline. Lily, who I asked about recently, was diagnosed with a heart murmur who has further testing on March 18th.
But my question today is about my youngest cat Pippin, who will be 2 years old this month. Pippin has always been a piggy, and eats his food very fast. He throws up every other day or every 3 days, and it is full pieces of food mixed with some liquid, as if this food never made its way down. I tried slow feeding bowls for a few months, but when the vomiting continued I switched back to regular bowls as to not disturb the other cats with this new feeding system for no reason.
I took Pippin to the vet and he told me to try hairball gel, which Pippin luckily loved and gobbled down for a few weeks, but the vomiting continued. The vet then suggested bloodwork, which I just got the results of today. I was told that his white blood cell count was high, specifically lymphocites and the vet suggested that we do further blood work then would include feline aids and leukemia as the initial blood work did not test for those. He stated that we may also want to consider an ultrasound.
Many in my life tell me that I get “taken for a ride” by vets because they know ill fork over whatever money it takes to keep my pets healthy. I wondered what your advice would be about this situation or what steps you might be taking if you were seeing Pippin, as I trust your morals and standards more than any vet (if only you weren’t so far from me)
Thank you so much for any insight you might have.
Courtney & Pippin
I took my 3 year old cat Lily to the vet today for a yearly checkup/shots and was told that she had a heart murmur and that I was being referred to a cardiologist. The cardiology specialist just called and quoted the tests at $600-$900. Lily is an extremely healthy cat who has never had any other issues besides a URI as a kitten. I’m reading online that the heart murmur could have simply been her being stressed at her appointment. Is it worth it to go through with these tests at the risk that it could be something more serious?
I have a 2 yr 8 mo old cat Milo who I am desperate to find relief for. He has been sick since I adopted him at 4 months. I was told right away by the shelter vet that he had feline herpes, and that he would always be sick, but that we could treat the symptoms. Over the next 2 years, we have found ourselves at every vet in the area, seeking out treatment options for Milo, and have also had emergency visits on 5 different occasions when Milo got to the point that he could barely breathe. Milo means more to me than anything in the world, and I have promised him that I will never stop searching and fighting for an answer to help him feel better.
Milo is getting worse as he gets older. At this point, his breathing is audible 24/7 (snoring/snorting noises with every breath) regardless of what antibiotic he’s on. He sneezes dramatically (sometimes 10 times in a row) to the point that there is snot on many of the walls/windows. He makes choking noises/coughing as if there is congestion stuck in his throat that he is trying to get out. There are times at night when I am woken by his breathing because it gets so loud. He occasionally is struggling so much with congestion that he will find a quiet place to sit and close his eyes while he mouth-breathes.
At some vet visits, he ironically ends up breathing/feeling a bit better when we get there and they’ll tell me “this is a healthy cat!” and I go home only for his symptoms to return.
However, at other visits over the years Milo has been diagnosed with allergies, asthma, conjunctivitis, viral URI infection, bacterial infections, etc. We’ve tried Benadryl, terramycin, doxycycline, L-Lysine, Famciclovir, prednisolone, azithromycin, little remedies nasal saline and nebulizing sterile saline. The next step is nebulization of Gentamycin (which I called every pharmacy in the area trying to find and ended up having to order from a specialty pharmacy.) It won’t be in until the middle of next week, and it breaks my heart to watch Milo struggle as we wait for yet another antibiotic that might not work.
Recently we found a vet who suggested they thought Milo has nasal polyps, but said that I would need to see a specialist to find out for sure. At this recommendation, I immediately made Milo an appointment 45 minutes away (and over a month wait). When we finally got in, the specialist told me that it was very unlikely that Milo had nasal polyps, as they are not common in younger cats. They offered to do some preliminary testing to rule out other illnesses first. They did bloodwork and xrays (which cost $900) and found that Milo was positive for Bordatella and Mycoplasma infections. The herpes test came back negative, but they told me that it often comes back with a false negative when the infection is chronic. They put him on an azithromycin paste which didn’t help whatsoever, and then suggested the gentamycin nebulization. They said that if Milo isn’t showing improvement after a week of the nebulized antibiotic, that we could consider a rhinoscopy and a CT scan to check for other underlying problems (such as polyps) which would run around $2600 total.
I should note that all of this is cost-prohibitive for me, but as I’m sure you can tell, I would spend every dime I had if it made Milo better. Any suggestions or recommendations that you have for us are GREATLY appreciated as I feel like we are nearing a dead end. We are 4 hours from your office but id be more than willing to come out there for your help.
Thank you in advance,
Courtney & Milo